4.3 Vortec Throttle body spacer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmoutdoorsman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is a throttle body spacer on a 4.3 vortec Useless? Ive heard that it basically is. Would it add any throttle response or low end power at all?

19trax95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some say they work. I haven't tried one ao I wont comment. But I do know that you should get a smooth one if you do get one. The ones with the spirals in it are a waste.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
A throttle body spacer on any Vortec is a waste. On the Vortec motors all that flows through the throttle body is air. So all you're doing is giving the air one more inch to flow through. The only benefit (aside from the whistle it gives the intake) is increased plenum volume. But it's so minimal you won't notice any gains. If you'd like to increase your plenum volume look into a plenum spacer. Summit Racing has them IIRC.

A TBI motor is a dfferent story. They work on TBI motors because both fuel and air flow through the throttle body. So the spacer gives the fuel more time to atomize.

On the Vortec motors there are some easy mods you can do to increase airflow. You can trim the "foot" off of the throttle blade. Delete the Vortec box off of the air intake. Also look into porting and polishing your throttle body. You can buy one that already has this done, CFM technology sells them, but they're expensive. Or you could look into doing it yourself. Spending money on these mods would be much more beneficial than a TB spacer. I'll do some digging and see if I can't find links to some of these mods. I know there's write ups on here.

Hope this helps. Good luck! :)

EDIT: There's info on both the Vortec box delete and the TB "foot" removal in Vortec Lover's build thread. Just scroll through all the pics and you'll see them

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthr...-Picture-Story-XD&highlight=vortec+box+delete

Last edited:

gmoutdoorsman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thank you very much. And yes I understand that it's way less beneficial on vortecs than tbi motors. I''ve already Debaffled the tb blade, descreened the maf and deleted the vortec box.