383, which trans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bcjjones

Reaction score
I have a pretty stout 383.
010 block .040 over
Eagle forged rotating assembly w/ KB flat top 2 valve relief pistons +7.00cc kit number 356-10215040
Crower 00471s cam hydraulic roller (Dur @ .050” Lift: 236°/240° RR: 1.5/1.5 Gross Lift: .555”/.559” LSA: 110°)
Promaxx 200 cc aluminum heads for hydraulic roller up to .600 lift
Howard's cams vertical bar hydraulic lifters
Scorpion 1.5 ratio rocker arms
Weiand street warrior dual plane intake 8501wnd
Holley Street avenger 770

This is all in a 95 single cab 2wd NV3500 running a 28" tire. I just recently grenaded the clutch disk and it cracked the bell housing on the NV3500. The NV3500 is too weak anyways and I was on borrowed time with it. 3.73 posi rear end. This is build a "hot" street truck. I definitely don't plan to tow or haul anything with it.

I don't necessarily have the money to spend 3-5k on something like a T-56 or Tremec variation. The next best thing is the NV4500, unless y'all know of another option?

With that being said, is the gear ratio of the NV4500 really all that bad? Other than 1st gear in my application. I mean, it would put me into the 1:1 gear ratio about 20 mph sooner than a T-56, Tremec or the NV3500. Wouldn't that make the truck quicker?

In my opinion the 6th gear on the T-56 is useless in a truck like this anyways, so I don't see that as a benefit. I don't think the truck would like it at all.

geeeee89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you're trying to race the truck or have a quick ******* fast street truck, nv4500 is not what you want. It's not a speed shifter, it's made for strength. The NV3500 shifts nice but doesn't belong in a full size. Mine s h i t the bed so I swapped in a 4500 and it's great. Low and short first gear. I usually take off in 2nd, but I'm on 35s with 4.88s.

Anyway if you want a 2wd 4500, a member on another forum I'm on said he has one he's selling and also in Texas

edit: this forum is getting un usable with its babysitting censorship. I can't type the word "s h i f t i n g"??? @Shaggy

bcjjones

Reaction score
If you're trying to race the truck or have a quick ******* fast street truck, nv4500 is not what you want. It's not a speed shifter, it's made for strength. The NV3500 shifts nice but doesn't belong in a full size. Mine s h i t the bed so I swapped in a 4500 and it's great. Low and short first gear. I usually take off in 2nd, but I'm on 35s with 4.88s.

Anyway if you want a 2wd 4500, a member on another forum I'm on said he has one he's selling and also in Texas

edit: this forum is getting un usable with its babysitting censorship. I can't type the word "s h i f t i n g"??? @Shaggy

That shifting censor had to have been misread?

Anyways, yea, I knew the NV4500 was a "dump truck" style trans, but I thought that was solely because of the granny first. I had one in a 94 K1500 about 10 years ago but I can't recall how it shifted. I loved it in that application. Felt like I could pull down a house. They do sell short throw shifters for them, but maybe its just the overall trans that isn't going to be a good fit in the this truck. It is meant to be a fast street truck.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about going old school? A Borg Warner T-10 or Muncie M22 Rock Crusher? Personally I like the T-10 better so, when you blow 2nd gear (and you will), at least the case will survive :anitoof:

bcjjones

Reaction score
My vote is for the M22.
I've thought about this also, and even and old sm465 which can be had very cheap. But how do they fit? Different crossmember? Different/custom driveshaft? Does this shifter sit in the factory location? Has anyone done it? How would I adapt to an external slave? What clutch would I run?

No overdrive is a bummer, but I can gear the rear end differently.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Put something like a 5.13 in the rear gear and go with the T-56. Dodge ran 4.56s on the SRT10s with the T56. Best all around setup IMO.

Anubis

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For the “ fast street truck“ goal that you have nothing beats a well built automatic transmission. My vote is a 4L80e with a quality stall torque converter. I highly recommend Circle D.