357,000 Mile 1996 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys! Meet my Valentine, purchased two weeks ago. I plan on lightly restoring this as a daily cruiser/mile saver for my nice WRX.

So far I have:
ordered my Apple CarPlay back-up camera unit,
threw away the 3rd row which was ruined,
ordered a full carpet,
replaced my grille & all headlights with new clears on 3rd day I owned it and ordered LED NBS taillights,
Installed my own Wireless charger in the center console (I just took this out to paint console black with SEM, so I'll show you the before pic)

Pics attached, and will update when I do more!

Future:
Install new carpet and at the same time deep clean or replace the leather seats.
Replace all front suspension rubber.
Paint wheels black (clear coat peeling and I love the look of these OEM wheels)
Any possible drivetrain issues with 357k :)

You must be registered for see images attach

What is it with Burbs and super high miles? I had a '95 with 340k on the original drive train (My current burb had its gauge cluster replaced so I believe its probably got at least 250k). SUBURBAN5 has 472k on his burb, and I think there is someone on this forum with over 500k on their '95.

AshleySellsCars

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is it with Burbs and super high miles? I had a '95 with 340k on the original drive train (My current burb had its gauge cluster replaced so I believe its probably got at least 250k). SUBURBAN5 has 472k on his burb, and I think there is someone on this forum with over 500k on their '95.

I’m down with it. I hope it lasts me years of snowboarding and dog hiking trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AshleySellsCars

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I work at the Chevrolet GMC dealer so I had my buddy in detail detail it inside and out for me, but because of the old wiring under the hood I only trust myself to clean the engine bay so that’s gonna be a project this weekend as well detailing that bay.

AshleySellsCars

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here’s the last of the parts that I haven’t gotten to yet. Needed to do heads, tails and broken driver mirror first. Added my inspiration picture as well. Almost Murdered out black with the Autumnwood gold/biege intact though.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I think part of the story on Burbs having high mileage is that, when these trucks were new, they used more for highway driving ( family trips and such). So highway miles instead of city driving to begin with. Then once they had new owners, or the original owners had life changes, the trucks got used more often, for hauling the family to wherever they needed to go every day. I've known many vintage Burb owners that had several kids or dogs and needed the room and capability a Burb has.
Mine was bought for a swap meet hauler, just to be used a couple weekends a month. Then our newer daily driver vehicles gave up the ghost, and the ol Burb kept on going. Some of the places we've lived and worked in greater Houston, we put 500 miles a week on it, and were gassing up twice a week.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I too am a fan of the OE wheels, though I've never liked the silver wheels on a two tone color and platinum painted vehicle.

My own dark copper and platinum '98 Burban has steel wheels, (painted black prior to purchase). I found a set of alloys and had them powdercoat as close to "Light Autumnwood" as I could.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

They just keep on going. Cant kill a gmt400:) gm is so surprised about these that's why they came up with garbage afterwards. They realized they be losing money if they built them like they used to.......

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think part of the story on Burbs having high mileage is that, when these trucks were new, they used more for highway driving ( family trips and such). So highway miles instead of city driving to begin with. Then once they had new owners, or the original owners had life changes, the trucks got used more often, for hauling the family to wherever they needed to go every day. I've known many vintage Burb owners that had several kids or dogs and needed the room and capability a Burb has.
Mine was bought for a swap meet hauler, just to be used a couple weekends a month. Then our newer daily driver vehicles gave up the ghost, and the ol Burb kept on going. Some of the places we've lived and worked in greater Houston, we put 500 miles a week on it, and were gassing up twice a week.

X2. Family vacation and dad worked for igloo and lived in Pearland