3500hd section

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, calling it boxed isn't technically correct, sorry. It's a double frame but not like it's nearly identical frame sections layered, it's an odd piece that is taller than the full frame rail. Begins just ahead of the rear cab mount and only extends a couple feet back. Pic from my old '95 3500HD 159.5" wheelbase (perfect frame length for an extended cab swap and a 'regular' length longbed / conventional wrecker bed) - the frames prior to this had no extra piece added, and were far more prone to bending like the '93 in my first post.

You must be registered for see images attach

In fact here's a '93 3500HD 159.5" that I had as a parts truck and we momentarily had some ideas of putting it back to work but it didn't happen. Not the best pic but as you can see there's no added frame section up there, just the regular frame rails.

Its frame was slightly bent, too, just not nearly as obvious as the wrecker I posted. It had lived a rough life as a garbage truck maintenance vehicle, until they got tired of fixing the 6.5td. The guy that bought the engine from me, super cheap as we knew it was shooting coolant out of the glow plug holes, tore it down and said it was pretty much junk. Cracked heads and can't recall if the block was any good.

Richard

That 2nd frame just looks like a C&C frame. I didn't realize the early ones were different, good to know.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That 2nd frame just looks like a C&C frame. I didn't realize the early ones were different, good to know.
Correct, once you get behind the cab, the frames appear pretty much the same as a C&C because that's what they are - just sprung/bracketed/etc. heavier than a regular 3500. Up front of course they're totally different being a leaf sprung solid front axle on kingpins.

Richard

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I took another look and this late C&C has a similar piece.

I don't think it went as far forward as the HD add on piece though.

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The only way to accomplish a crew/extended cab on a 3500HD is to stretch the frame under the cabs.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
interesting... welded

Yeah, calling it boxed isn't technically correct, sorry. It's a double frame but not like it's nearly identical frame sections layered, it's an odd piece that is taller than the full frame rail. Begins just ahead of the rear cab mount and only extends a couple feet back. Pic from my old '95 3500HD 159.5" wheelbase (perfect frame length for an extended cab swap and a 'regular' length longbed / conventional wrecker bed) - the frames prior to this had no extra piece added, and were far more prone to bending like the '93 in my first post.

In fact here's a '93 3500HD 159.5" that I had as a parts truck and we momentarily had some ideas of putting it back to work but it didn't happen. Not the best pic but as you can see there's no added frame section up there, just the regular frame rails.

Its frame was slightly bent, too, just not nearly as obvious as the wrecker I posted. It had lived a rough life as a garbage truck maintenance vehicle, until they got tired of fixing the 6.5td. The guy that bought the engine from me, super cheap as we knew it was shooting coolant out of the glow plug holes, tore it down and said it was pretty much junk. Cracked heads and can't recall if the block was any good.

Richard
God...I remember when those under-lifts first came on the scene. Hell, I remember the first cradle-style wheel lifts from way back when. We mostly used WeldBuilt, as they were on the same island as us. My '71 White had a Holmes 750, though; it was the only Holmes we had.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The only way to accomplish a crew/extended cab on a 3500HD is to stretch the frame under the cabs.
Crew cabs were made by GM.

Extended cabs fit on the 159.5" wheelbase frame.. I suspect there may be some slight massaging needed at the very rear of the cab floor area to clear a crossmember, and you have to move the rear cab mounts, obviously.

GM offered 135.5", 159.5", 183.5", and probably some others not right off the top of my head as I'd have to go into the sales info to see. I've seen a 3500HD crew cab with an 11' flatbed. That was stupid long.

Richard

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I took another look and this late C&C has a similar piece.

I don't think it went as far forward as the HD add on piece though.
Interesting. What stands out to me is that it doesn't wrap around the top and bottom in a C shape like the HD piece.

Last non-HD C&C I had was a '92 and it definitely did not have that piece. It had given up just about everything usable and I was loading it onto the trailer to go to scrap:

Richard

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting. What stands out to me is that it doesn't wrap around the top and bottom in a C shape like the HD piece.

Last non-HD C&C I had was a '92 and it definitely did not have that piece. It had given up just about everything usable and I was loading it onto the trailer to go to scrap:

Richard

The difference in the reinforcement does seem commensurate with their different weight ratings though. All these bent frames are concerning to me, as I've been running a 4' hitch extension since 2018 to get to the track. But then again I am running an overkill WD hitch.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Richard
The 91 cab chassis that I just brought home doesn't have a reinforcement either. I thought that I read that around 93-94 is when they put the big one on the HD, I wonder if they did the same thing with the cab and chassis trucks at that time.