3500hd section

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was a moderator on that forum though it really didn't need it as it was pretty sleepy, having such a niche audience. Around the time they were going to wrap up the forum and take it down I was in talks with the guy that ran it concerning possibly taking over it but I just couldn't commit the time/effort to maintaining a forum, especially with the spambots and hacking/malware attacks a lot of forums get. I *might* still be able to contact him and retrieve an archive of info before the forum was taken down, though unsure of what format it would be in.

Richard
That would be awesome to have all of that information accessible again! I'd joined way back and enjoyed reading the builds.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
What year did 3500HD.com shut down? I was a member, but didn't participate much since I didn't actually own one. I'd check in from time to time, and one time, it was just gone.

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
Seems as though 3500HD.com was last archived around mid 2019, not much useful there except maybe the front page.

2019:

FWIW, going back a bit further to 2010 reveals some clickable threads/links.

2010:

Could still be some useful info there for someone.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sigh.. my old black '94 on the front page, just at the stage it was "complete" as a running/driving truck, before the wrecker install. :)

One could scour the web archive for the posts..

I wonder if Ed's email is still active being a yahoo account. I've got those conversations about the forum closing down on my desktop pc in an old email program.

Edit - wow; the second link going back to the 2010 version of the forum shows "Latest member: ar customs" which is my buddy Robbie, who made a 3-door extended cab HD in a way you wouldn't expect - he cut the two cabs right at the top of the A-pillar and grafted them, so that he still retained his original VIN. This keeps the title, GVWR, etc. intact and legit. If you pick through the webarchive posts enough you may find the few build pics he posted.

Back to the new 3500HD section idea here on GMT400 - as far as inclusion, Ed's perspective on 3500HD.com was that pretty much any dually/C&C was welcome, since you couldn't really keep the other guys out anyway ;) but it was still mostly "real" 3500HD's.

Richard

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to turn anyone away from here but there is a forum called diesel place that has a really good 6.5 section from truly dedicated almost cult like 6.5 owners that love their boat anchors instead of cynical bass turds like me who like to make sure to wear comfortable walking shoes knowing that they are more reliable than the special snowflake under the hood.
That is true. I forgot about that place. Sometimes visited it when I had my LML but usually went to DuramaxForum instead.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seems as though 3500HD.com was last archived around mid 2019, not much useful there except maybe the front page.

2019:

FWIW, going back a bit further to 2010 reveals some clickable threads/links.

2010:

Could still be some useful info there for someone.
The little bit that was clickable from 2010 has so much great information. Thank you!

Restoguy

Reaction score
+1 for a 3500HD section.
Since i drive an HD for work almost every day, its still quite relevant to me. I did a whole write up, with a bunch of pics, of how to do kingpins a few years back. Didnt realize until now that it was gone! :(

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since we don't have a 3500HD section yet ;) ;) ;)

Saw this '93 while cruising FB marketplace. Interesting truck since it's an HD, but.. well..

You must be registered for see images attach

Homemade extended cab with no details on how they accomplished it. Assuming the easy way - it's a 1500/2500/3500 SRW cab (note no cab marker lights) thrown onto the HD frame, which will mean a VIN to match, making it an instant fail anywhere you might need to get a wrecker inspection, or might catch a DOT inspection as the GVWR indicated by VIN and title will be way off. Or, if they swapped the VIN, bigger troubles ahead. Only way I know you could accomplish this 100% successfully would be grafting the two cabs together like my buddy Robbie did, retaining his original HD VIN tag.

Next up, the more glaring issue, the bent frame. Super common on the early HD's since they didn't come with the boxed frame section that came along around '95.

It's a 6.5td and is described as runs but "needs a lift pump and then gone thru"

18' Chevron rollback bed, actually I think a lot of those early HD rollbacks were 17' but if he says this one is 18' it's probably 18', dunno. It's not a lot of bed for modern vehicles you might haul these days.

Not trying to salt the man's truck, for $5K it's probably worth it or near worth it. It's just not for me.

Richard

Last edited:

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Boxed? I've seen double c-channel, but not boxed.
Yeah, calling it boxed isn't technically correct, sorry. It's a double frame but not like it's nearly identical frame sections layered, it's an odd piece that is taller than the full frame rail. Begins just ahead of the rear cab mount and only extends a couple feet back. Pic from my old '95 3500HD 159.5" wheelbase (perfect frame length for an extended cab swap and a 'regular' length longbed / conventional wrecker bed) - the frames prior to this had no extra piece added, and were far more prone to bending like the '93 in my first post.

In fact here's a '93 3500HD 159.5" that I had as a parts truck and we momentarily had some ideas of putting it back to work but it didn't happen. Not the best pic but as you can see there's no added frame section up there, just the regular frame rails.

Its frame was slightly bent, too, just not nearly as obvious as the wrecker I posted. It had lived a rough life as a garbage truck maintenance vehicle, until they got tired of fixing the 6.5td. The guy that bought the engine from me, super cheap as we knew it was shooting coolant out of the glow plug holes, tore it down and said it was pretty much junk. Cracked heads and can't recall if the block was any good.

Richard

Last edited: