350 TBI to 5.7 Vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

81shkenbk90

Reaction score
I have a 1990 K2500 with a 350 TBI and TH400, and I have a late 90s wrecked suburban with a 5.7 Vortec and 4L60. I am wanting to do a complete swap from my TBI/400 to the Vortec/4L60. My question is about switching my gauges. I am wondering if there is any way that I could use my OE cluster, and how that would work. I am not opposed to using an A pillar with gauges. Is there any way that the cluster out of suburban could fit into my pickup? I know that I could do a a complete dash swap, (wouldnt be bad because the suburban interior is the same color as the one in my pickup), yet I know this would be tedious and don't exactly want to do it. Any and all help would be awesome, as well as pictures.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
If your willing to do the work to swap it the. Use your cluster and the only gauge you won't have is the tach. Also you need a fuel pump out of a vortec motored vehicle. I don't know if the suburban fuel pump will work in your truck. The TBI runs on lower fuel pressure than a vortec, that's why you need the newer fuel pump. This is all the info I have because I thought of the same swap, but I already have the 4l60, and that's what my shop said I'd need. Then they said it would be easier to do a 383 in my truck.

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you just have to change fuel pump if you do a complete swap, not if you keep the tb?
what about fuel filter?

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They make intakes to fit vortec heads that have squarebore flange. Then you just use squarebore to TBI adapter and your g2g

danman6677

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What about camshafts? I would like to have a stock vortec motor but a torquier cam without problems with the sensors and such.

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
found some vortec heads for my truck, used and have to pull them for $125, that a decent price?
and while im in there pulling stuff, would it make sense to see what he wants for the intake and all that, would that be better then running the tb, or would a tb with a nonstock intake be just as good, and less trouble

beast94

Reaction score
You will have get an aftermarket intake manifold if you convert to vortec heads. There are alot to choose from. I would sugest using a carb manifold and getting the TBI adapter plate for it.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
Looking to get a question answered and this is the closest topic I found... Are the TBI and Vortec fuel pumps physically (tank side) the same?

I'm looking to LS swap my truck and I picked up a Vortec fuel pump assembly (broken) to stick some new guts into to fuel it, but I can't find confirmation anywhere if the mounting ring is the same between TBI and Vortec. LMC truck lists one tank for all years, but I would love someone to confirm.