350 tbi to 383 carb swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey guys. Ive got a 89 eclb k2500. Just got a new blueprint engine 383 installed, cut the ecm out, re wired stock fuel pump and relay, and put a fuel psi reg in. Everything is working how it should but i am getting excessive psi build up in the tank. Just wondering if that could be caused by to much fuel return to the tank? And is there a way to remove the stock in tank pump from the sending unit, install a ext pump and get rid of the excessive psi build up in the tank?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will move this thread to LSX + Carb Swaps.

How is the tank vented? Did you gut the charcoal canister, too?

You can't build pressure in the tank from the fuel return--you can't return more fuel to the tank than you've pumped out to begin with.

I have no idea why you'd remove the in-tank pump for a failure-prone external pump. The major manufacturers put the pump in the tank because that's where it's easiest to prime, and runs coolest. External pumps are harder to keep running properly.

thatclappedsilverado

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like schurkey said make sure the vent for the tank is still okay. I removed My charcoal canister when i swapped to the 96-99 washer res. I still run the factory pump with a return style regulator and havent had any problems at 6 psi for the last year. The electric pump will be more reliable like he ssaid aswell.