350 tbi mild build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cbark2305

Reaction score
I have a 89 350tbi and I found vortec heads with .550 springs, edelbrock cam, pushrods, lifters, Mallory distributor, msd coil, intake and carb for $600. Thinking about doing the swap into my truck but adding Holley sniper efi.

Is it worth it all or should I look into different heads? Not trying to burn up the track, just wanting some good power.

Truck is a 89 c2500hd regular cab long bed, currently lifted 4.5 in the front 2 in the rear but gonna do eBay lift springs and 4in blocks in the rear with 35s

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
https://www.gmt400.com/threads/how-to-put-a-vortec-motor-in-a-tbi-truck.49463/#post-1101829
I learned a lot of this putting Vortec heads on the older block in my '89 Stepside with a Holley Sniper. I'm still trying to get the truck running reliably, but that's a whole 'nuther story.

That was an excellent write up BTW. Looks like a common question. Maybe it should be a sticky?

So would it be too much problem to just swap a complete Vortec for the TBIs that had the 4L60e? I know it would be a challenge on the non-electronic trannies, but what about like 92-95 years? How does the 4L60e work on those years?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So would it be too much problem to just swap a complete Vortec for the TBIs that had the 4L60e?
You can do it with any trans because you'll need the updated PCM (such as Black Box or 0411 and wiring harness) to fire the injectors and timing from the crank/cam sensors. You just tune it for whatever trans you want.