350 tbi cam question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Velocity502

Reaction score
So I recently got a reman 350, swirl port heads, flat tappet cam, nothing special. I was looking at good cheap cams and one on Summit caught my eye. It's the K1103 cam and I've heard that it's an all around good buy. Comes with lifters as well. I was just wondering if anyone here has had experience with this cam. If so is it worth the $120?

umwtnt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed the 1102 in my engine, along with shorty headers, off road Y pipe and the TBI mods and I'm very happy with the results. My low end is much better even with the stock 3.08 rear gear. When I updated to a 3.73 it was much better. I didn't go with the 1103 because I had read numerous times about the max lift our engines could take without issues. I don't remember what those issues were now. Good luck.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a K1104 in my 'Camino. I bought it as a "temporary" cam until I could decide on something "more". Been "temporary" for about thirty years now. Mind you, this is a 400 with aftermarket heads and Holley carburetion.

Photo from "trial assembly" back in...'91 or '92, maybe.
You must be registered for see images attach

I'm not saying I recommend the K1103 for a TBI. At least, not unless you've got computer-tuning skills. Maybe it works, I think it's more likely that you'll have problems on the stock tune.

But mostly, I think it's nuts to buy a flat-tappet cam at this point. Verify that your block does/does not have provisions for an OEM roller cam, and if it does, get all the roller-cam accessories--thrust plate and hardware, dogbones, spider and hardware, roller-cam timing set, used-but-usable roller lifters, and appropriate pushrods, potentially from a Treasure Yard at very low cost--and move into this century.

Velocity502

Reaction score
There's a K1104 in my 'Camino. I bought it as a "temporary" cam until I could decide on something "more". Been "temporary" for about thirty years now. Mind you, this is a 400 with aftermarket heads and Holley carburetion.

Photo from "trial assembly" back in...'91 or '92, maybe.
You must be registered for see images attach

I'm not saying I recommend the K1103 for a TBI. At least, not unless you've got computer-tuning skills. Maybe it works, I think it's more likely that you'll have problems on the stock tune.

But mostly, I think it's nuts to buy a flat-tappet cam at this point. Verify that your block does/does not have provisions for an OEM roller cam, and if it does, get all the roller-cam accessories--thrust plate and hardware, dogbones, spider and hardware, roller-cam timing set, used-but-usable roller lifters, and appropriate pushrods, potentially from a Treasure Yard at very low cost--and move into this century.
It unfortunately doesn't have any of the roller cam stuff in it. It's a reman motor, and it will no longer be a TBI setup. I'm switching it over to carb

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
big cam for a low compression truck motor IMO. i ran a similar spec (roller) cam in my 10.3:1 TBI engine.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Supposedly the max lift for our stock engines is .480". If you do the beehive spring swap and use umbrella seals it's .530" I'm running a .507/.515" roller cam with Vortec heads and LS2 valvesprings on a 9.7:1 TBI block. Absolutely go roller cam if you can.