350 cam options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slimpickens

Reaction score
Agreed... Lol they are the same grind... I personally like the lt1 cam. If my motor wasi n a 2wd rcsb I'd bet it would fly for what it is.
Hell my big ass suburban will hit 92mph in a quarter mile from a dead stop, but I have other supporting mods.

Slimpickens

Reaction score
Very true, perhaps it had to do with the engine management system? Or due to the great cylinder head design they used that b body cam... Since it made excellent torque and good hp without having to rev the dog mess out of the truck? I know I would like to hear the true story.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
The architecture of the LT1 heads was something GM powertrain hadn't done before. The heart shaped fast burn chamber and raised intake runner concepts are old school sbc gofast tricks to make more power with '461 or '186 "camel hump" or "double hump" heads, to get a cleaner, more efficient burn/flame propagation and more revs & more airflow. Guys used to grind and grind and grind on old iron heads to make them better by changing the combustion chamber shape and expoxying the intake port floors/grinding out the tops of the ports to raise the runners and make more power. GM designed tooling to cast heads like these guys used to "port", and cast the LT1 heads. They went from the LT1 heads straight into the L31 heads. These guys knew a cam on a 115 or 117 LSA wasn't going to maximize power in a usable street rpm powerband in a truck. This is why the B body cam became the L31 cam, not the F body cam, or the LT4 production cam or whatever else was in an LT1. There may be some other factors at play here, like presence/absence of EGR, emissions, etc., but my gut says power curve is foremost. OK, this is my theory, right? I'll stick to it until someone proves otherwise.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny how the B body LT1 cam is the one that GM powertrain adapted into the L31 engine.
Funny how they decided NOT to run any of the other LT1 cams in the L31.
The architecture of the LT1 heads was something GM powertrain hadn't done before. The heart shaped fast burn chamber and raised intake runner concepts are old school sbc gofast tricks to make more power with '461 or '186 "camel hump" or "double hump" heads, to get a cleaner, more efficient burn/flame propagation and more revs & more airflow. Guys used to grind and grind and grind on old iron heads to make them better by changing the combustion chamber shape and expoxying the intake port floors/grinding out the tops of the ports to raise the runners and make more power. GM designed tooling to cast heads like these guys used to "port", and cast the LT1 heads. They went from the LT1 heads straight into the L31 heads. These guys knew a cam on a 115 or 117 LSA wasn't going to maximize power in a usable street rpm powerband in a truck. This is why the B body cam became the L31 cam, not the F body cam, or the LT4 production cam or whatever else was in an LT1. There may be some other factors at play here, like presence/absence of EGR, emissions, etc., but my gut says power curve is foremost. OK, this is my theory, right? I'll stick to it until someone proves otherwise.

The horse is dead, I promise.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So. When are we all putting f body cams in l31s?

Rich Jacob

Reaction score
When you change the cam, don't you also compensate by upgrading the injectors, and true dual exhaust, to help it do it's job in an otherwise restrictive stock configuration?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The fuel system is good for around 400 HP, and it is always a good idea to upgrade the exhaust system to let the engine breath better, but it is not a necessity to go with a true dual exhaust. What is important, is once the cam is done, is to reprogram the ECM to perform properly with that cam.