350 cam options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Absurd. Kind of like trying to compare cams using only seat to seat tIming and duration at 0.050". Kind of like calling Comp's XR line more aggressive than the extreme 4x4 line. Kind of like it says in Comp's master lobe catalog that the extreme 4x4 lobes are the most aggressive lobes they offer. Kind of like saying a cam designed for a 3000# car is good for a truck. Kind of like saying said cam is good for towing. Kind of like, never mind, I think I've proven my point. What's that about casting stones while residing in glass houses?

Aaaannnyways, the fact of the matter is that the ramjet cam is far better than any of the f body cams for a factory cam swap in any truck/towing application. Not to mention also more optimal than the B body LT1 cam because it is more or less identical to the L31 cam.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absurd. Kind of like trying to compare cams using only seat to seat tIming and duration at 0.050".

Do you have something else to compare factory cams by? Have you dyno'd these cams in an L31, to see what the real world difference is? Have you degreed any of these cams, even the 395 that you own? I would love any of that information, as it simply isn't out there. Unless you have that information, ALL you have to go on is seat to seat timing, advertised lift, LSA, and the recommendations of others.

Kind of like calling Comp's XR line more aggressive than the extreme 4x4 line. Kind of like it says in Comp's master lobe catalog that the extreme 4x4 lobes are the most aggressive lobes they offer.

That statement was wholly my fault. I wasn't looking at ramp rates because I don't have them for the factory cams, your 395 included. Mea culpa.

Kind of like saying a cam designed for a 3000# car is good for a truck. Kind of like saying said cam is good for towing. Kind of like, never mind, I think I've proven my point. What's that about casting stones while residing in glass houses?

You've proven that you have an opinion, and that you your opinion centers on the cam having come out of a car. Others that have actually run these cams, in a heavy vehicle, while towing, say otherwise. I jumped into this thread because you said that the LT cams don't belong in trucks. Back the statement up with fact if you wish to present it as fact.

Last edited:

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Based on what the factory cams in question are designed for, the RamJet cam is still the better option for a pickup/towing application. The tighter LSA brings the power in sooner, that's why the engineers spec'd it the way they did.

For a street brawler/sport pickup, the LT4 cam matched with the appropriate gears and stall converter would be fine. If we really want to get serious about any of this we can start talking DCR.

Unless you are running mud pits, a stall converter in a 4x4, tow pig, rock crawler etc., is a waste of money. You want off idle torque and not something that adds unnecessary heat to the tranny.

nortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do I need the aprings and rockers? Where can I purchase them

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Do you have something else to compare factory cams by? Have you dyno'd these cams in an L31, to see what the real world difference is? Have you degreed any of these cams, even the 395 that you own? I would love any of that information, as it simply isn't out there. Unless you have that information, ALL you have to go on is seat to seat timing, advertised lift, LSA, and the recommendations of others.

That statement was wholly my fault. I wasn't looking at ramp rates because I don't have them for the factory cams, your 395 included. Mea culpa.

You've proven that you have an opinion, and that you your opinion centers on the cam having come out of a car. Others that have actually run these cams, in a heavy vehicle, while towing, say otherwise. I jumped into this thread because you said that the LT cams don't belong in trucks. Back the statement up with fact if you wish to present it as fact.

Without specific details there is no point in talking about what these others have to say about their various B/F/X body cam swaps, and what they were running beforehand. I'll say anything would be an improvement over the L31 cam, and it's highly likely we'll at least agree on that, and the idea that neither of us is absurd, right?

Until these guys on the internet swap their B/F/X body cams for the '395 cam, they will absolutely think they're running a great truck/towing cam. Perhaps until you see this for yourself, you'll tend to remain an agreement with them. I'll state that every sbc I've "cam swapped" has been with a grind touting a tighter LSA and more duration across the board than the one that was removed, and they've ALL picked up significant power gains that came on not only sooner, and in some cases, also held on longer (likely from spring upgrade, but still part of the package).

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have little doubt that the 395 cam is better than the other factory cam options available, and was never trying to make that a point of contention. My point was that the other cams are worth considering as a very budget friendly cam swap option. They are far from ideal, to be sure, and getting harder to find. Installed 4 degrees advanced to try and offset some of their ICL/LSA issues would definitely help. But, again, I only took issue with the idea of throwing them about altogether. And, yes, nearly anything is better then the peanut cam and weak/tired springs found in most L31's.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Yes, but I'd look for a zz4 cam before running the LT4 production cam. Last I heard, GM was holding on to like 14 of them in WI or something crazy like that anyways. I actually considered it for my truck before choosing the '395.

I have little doubt that the 395 cam is better than the other factory cam options available, and was never trying to make that a point of contention. My point was that the other cams are worth considering as a very budget friendly cam swap option. They are far from ideal, to be sure, and getting harder to find. Installed 4 degrees advanced to try and offset some of their ICL/LSA issues would definitely help. But, again, I only took issue with the idea of throwing them about altogether. And, yes, nearly anything is better then the peanut cam and weak/tired springs found in most L31's.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do I need the aprings and rockers? Where can I purchase them

Yes, you do. Springs at minimum, and rockers if yours are very worn. The springs should be whatever is recommended by the cam manufacturer for that particular cam, or at least springs that meet their specs. The Alex Parts spring seem popular for running higher lift cams on the L31's, and Comp makes several drop in sets.

nortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd be interested in doing the whole setup. Do you have links?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which cam were you wanting to get? There are several options, as myself and slowburb have hashed over these last several posts.