350 5.7 Engine Build

Discussion in 'Engine Performance + Maintenance' started by Joshgrizzy24, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Joshgrizzy24

Joshgrizzy24 Newbie

Can someone give me some direction as to some good books or online tools for rebuilding a 350 5.7. I have been watching youtube videos day in and out and i am working with an engine shop who is finishing up machining my 350 block, crank, pistons, and cyclinder heads. This is my first engine rebuild and i just dont want to ruin the engine when i start putting it back together.

Thanks much

HotWheelsBurban likes this.
  2. mtl111

mtl111 I'm Awesome

Get a service manual that covers your model year. A GM manual is the best but will be a 4 book set that covers EVERYTHING on the truck and they'reexpensive. Sometimes you can find a used GM set on Ebay a little cheaper. A Haynes or Chilton's manual will cover mechanical stuff mostly and will have all the torque specs and procedures you need.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Joshgrizzy24 and HotWheelsBurban like this.
  3. sntrym

sntrym I'm Awesome

Joshgrizzy24 and HotWheelsBurban like this.
  4. Schurkey

Schurkey I'm Awesome

There's a dozen books dedicated to rebuilding/modifying small-block Chevies.

All of them have something useful to say. None of them are Totally Comprehensive.

An Amazon search of books regarding Small-Block Chevrolet will yield numerous hits. (132, I looked just now. Not all hits are worthwhile, and some are repeats.)

5. Erik the Awful

Erik the Awful Supporting Member

Rebuilding the motor is pretty straight-forward. It's all nuts and bolts. What you won't find in any rebuild instructions I've run across is an explanation of the block plugs. I always find myself referring back to this article: http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/engines-drivetrain/83818-block-plug-basics/

I have a copy printed off in my shop, and I've saved it to my computer.

6. HillcrestFarm

HillcrestFarm Newbie

Check out this link for your service manual in pdf.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/88-95-service-manuals.43575/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk