305 rebuild with performance parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Connor C

Reaction score
What did you do for tuning your tbi? Do you take it to a shop to get it done or is it somewhat manageable to do from home. I haven't done much research into so I don't know much about it. I'd like to do from home but I think you have to buy quite a bit of hardware to do it. I like the vortec heads, just need to convince myself on them since I already have an intake lying around that fits pre 87 heads, but if the vortecs will make a difference I'll bite the bullet and get them along with an intake.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would start by bumping up fuel pressure, also while I mostly drive my vortec truck I do have a 350 Tbi truck and it liked magnaflow exhaust and the Tbi power charger aka salad bowl mod. For major tuning try the guys are dynamicefi.

Connor C

Reaction score
Do you think it would need custom tuning or would a pre made chip be enough? I was looking at magnaflow they seemed good with straight through flow.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For major tuning try the guys are dynamicefi.
I think you mean GearHead-EFI - great forum for tuning help.
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/forum.php

DynamicEFI is a totally different deal where you would buy the EBL Flash-II and tune it yourself with great support from RBob and others on sites like thirdgen.org where there's a dedicated thread to the EBL.
https://www.dynamicefi.com/EBL_Flash.php

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-prom/356351-tuning-ebl-95.html

884x4310ci

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I build a couple of 305's in the day messing around with Monte Carlo's when I was younger. the 416 heads and newer 081 are pretty much the same besides the valve covers and center intake bolts. And the 128 are basically the same but in aluminum and 1.94 intake valve. And then the 113 are a improved version of the 128.
If your budget allows look at the 175cc truck flow heads!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to bring you back to reality, Vortec heads require a bunch of other mods to work with a TBI motor. I went ahead and did it, but I was planning on an aftermarket EFI anyways.

For exhaust, I think true duals with either an H or X pipe is the best. Engine Masters did a 3" Y-pipe exhaust that outflowed a dual exhaust with no crossover. I don't think you could go wrong with either duals with a crossover or a Y'd 3" exhaust. If you have the tools and ability to weld, you can build an excellent exhaust for under $200.
View media item 32083

Connor C

Reaction score
That's good to know about vortec heads not working with TBI. I want to switch to something like a Holley sniper down the road so i have some deciding to do there. That's pretty interesting that a Y pipe and single 3" flow better than dual. Can you buy an after market Y pipe for these trucks? For the 081 heads what intake would I need to use? the same as a vortec intake or is it a pre 87 style?

Thanks,

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The only mods you need for vortec heads are an intake manifold , the adapter for the Tbi unit, and an exhaust manifold if you plan on keeping EGR. If you are already going to buy an intake for performance and or headers then it is not really even a mod.
The only other performance option is the Trick Flow 56cc heads, which also requires a new intake and an adapter.