305 or 350?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In a quandary here. Don't know what I have for an engine in my '89 Cheyenne. The VIN (letter H) says it's a 305. BUT!! ... Bit of a back-story here. Bought the truck in late spring of this year. While making some needed repairs, found boneyard markings on both the engine and trans. Also determined from the number of mud wasp nests under the truck that it has set idle for a long time. The trans. was taken from a car, most likely a Camaro of Trans Am from looking at the tailshaft housing (mounting bosses for a torque arm) and the wrong vss for a truck. The engine has the usual circular heat pads that a boneyard sticks on, maybe from the same car the trans came from. Anyways, back to now. Occasionally, I would get an EGR code, so I got one for a 305. It arrived, I installed it today after comparing both pieces. Upon looking at the part # that's stamped on the removed valve, it says it's used on 350 engines (17087196), 1988 350 to be exact. Now I'm curious if in fact I do have a 350, and not the claimed 305. Is there a way to differentiate between the two? I'm not getting any DTC'S to indicate a swap, and I've driven it for at least 500 miles. I will admit that the engine feels stronger than I would imagine a 305 would be. Any info would be helpful. Thanks

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check block and head casting numbers and you will know exactly what you have.