3/4 ton build... stock hood vs 2" cowl hood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jermaine Smith

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought mine from LMC truck years ago (I believe it was Goodmark brand, but don't hold me to that).. The fit was actually spot on. I have my original hood still, but I never regretted the switch. There is some functionality, in that it allows engine compartment heat to evacuate.. Heat being one of the clear coat killers for the hood without the factory insulation (some models (89 k2500) like mine didn't have anything from the factory). It does create a funky loop in the middle of the windshield during rain/ice/snow events, but not a big deal. They are still rare enough that it gives a nice custom touch without being belligerent.

You must be registered for see images attach

Awesome looking ride you have there.

tybcr783

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought mine from LMC truck years ago (I believe it was Goodmark brand, but don't hold me to that).. The fit was actually spot on. I have my original hood still, but I never regretted the switch. There is some functionality, in that it allows engine compartment heat to evacuate.. Heat being one of the clear coat killers for the hood without the factory insulation (some models (89 k2500) like mine didn't have anything from the factory). It does create a funky loop in the middle of the windshield during rain/ice/snow events, but not a big deal. They are still rare enough that it gives a nice custom touch without being belligerent.

You must be registered for see images attach
I know this is a older thread but I got a 3/4 ton 2000 obs and am considering purchasing a 2” cowl hood but I was wanting to know how you were able to color match it to your truck as I heard if I got the hood painted the oem color it would look slightly different due to the paint everywhere else being much older. Thanks

HawkDsl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know this is a older thread but I got a 3/4 ton 2000 obs and am considering purchasing a 2” cowl hood but I was wanting to know how you were able to color match it to your truck as I heard if I got the hood painted the oem color it would look slightly different due to the paint everywhere else being much older. Thanks
A paint shop will scan the color off the truck, and get a match that way. If they don't offer that, go to another shop. I avoided that as mine was a bare metal repaint.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wanting to know how you were able to color match it to your truck as I heard if I got the hood painted the oem color it would look slightly different due to the paint everywhere else being much older.
I'm not a paint and body guy, but I do know the only way to get new paint to match old paint is to completely repaint. The old paint is already aged, and the new paint will age at a different rate, especially as it's not likely to be the same formulation.

HawkDsl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not a paint and body guy, but I do know the only way to get new paint to match old paint is to completely repaint. The old paint is already aged, and the new paint will age at a different rate, especially as it's not likely to be the same formulation.
That's a good point. I know allot of people simply don't have the money for such thing, but it is worth it, especially if a good shop does the work.