2WD to 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jayden Richey

Reaction score
Hello everybody, I am thinking about making my truck a 4WD but I've heard that the frame is different than the 4WDs? I'm thinking about a dana 44 solid axle in front or possibly an I beam axle. What transfer case would be good for it?

Any info would be good.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I can't comment about the frame but we now own a 2wd and the frames look identical. What is different is the suspension set up. K's (4WD's) used torsion bars and C's (2WD's) used coil springs. Then there's the oil filter adaptor that K's had which takes the filter and practically makes it perpendicular with the ground so the front driveshaft will clear. Gotta be more to it that a more experienced member will be able to tell you. So if converting you'd want a donor truck. Personally, I'd just buy a 4WD. I'm done trying to make things into what I want them to be.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Completely different front frame sections.
Seriously you’re money ahead selling and buying a 4wd. Unless the car has sentimental valueAND you can get a complete donor vehicle you’ll be spending a lot of money converting 2wd to 4wd

You’ll need a 4wd trans or the t case to bolt up to your 2wd driveshafts, welder, cutting tools, springs, front axle, possibly rear axle if you go to 8 lug, possibly having to regear one of the axles to match, modify interior for the 4wd lever, possibly different wheels for correct offset etc

Last edited: