285s - MPG dropped... Normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Got the tank removed tonight. Boy is everything rotten! Filler neck is rotten, sending unit is rotten, and rear lines are sort of rotten at the connectors. Haven't removed the plastic guard piece under the tank yet, very curious to see where it rotted through. Is it recommended to keep the plastic guard on or can I just leave it off? I'm sure that's what made it leak in the first place, trapping all the salt **** for years. Pics coming tomorrow.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve seen them usually rot worse on the top than the bottom, so I don’t think it’s the plastic shield causing the rot. It’s all the salt and debris that sits on top.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I worked at the salt mine for 1.5 years rite after I got laid off from offshore. I would stop at the car was on the way home every day. The salt mine is 45 mins from my house. The first town from the salt mine is about 35 mins from my house, so my truck had plenty of time to dry off at 70 MPH. It was cool working in the salt mine, but all the people who worked for Morton Salt, had old cars and trucks to drive back and forth to work. They all said that if they had my truck, it would never see the salt mine parking lot. Its been 3 years since I got laid off from there. My truck doesnt have 1 spot of rust on it anywhere. It never snows here, so they never salt the roads. Here is a pic of me in the mine standing next to a huge salt rock. I know the pic is a little dark, but its dark down there.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
285 - 265 is an aspect ratio. As asked, what size are these tires. The complete size.

The 285 is width of the tires tread in mm, while the second number is 75. This is 75% tall as they are wide. This 75 changes the overall circumference that effects the number to rotations per mile, so less.
The transmission will shift differently due to TPS, Timing, RPM, VSS and knock sensor feedback... this equals "Calculated Engine Load". The VCM/PCM has algorithms to change shift pattern for best operation for engine load and vehicle performance.
While going larger in the 75 aspect ratio, increasing tire circumference WILL change the speedo reading and is correct at the DRAC if possible, but a 285 is wider that effects rolling resistance. Basically, more rubber touching the road, increasing load, having to push air in front of the tire...just little stuff that adds up.
This is why "Hybrids" have low rolling resistant tires, either more expensive or not, but have a different sidewalls stiffness, harder rubber tread compound, all make changes.
It is like placing the vehicle on the flat, in neutral and rope with tension gauge on front to pull it, then measure once rolling. It would change with tire selection. Proper inflation is based upon the placard on the door, not the "Max PSI" seen on tire. This is max setting for inflation after installing for a tech to pay attention to, not the same for everyday tire air pressure testing. This change between 4 ply, 6 ply or the more common truck tire 8 ply that may say 60 PSI on the sidewall. This should work great and last longer adjusted to 40 PSI.
Call a tire shop to ask a simple maintenance question. But find the roads mile markers, test with other vehicles if needed to confirm a single mile, the start, run the mile and see what the odometer says. Adjust either in vehicle or in mind will keep you from getting tickets.

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
I’ve seen them usually rot worse on the top than the bottom, so I don’t think it’s the plastic shield causing the rot. It’s all the salt and debris that sits on top.
Actually it was the opposite for mine, the top had some rust, but not bad surprisingly.

-------------------------------------------------------

Forgot to take pics today, will get them tomorrow.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Weird. When my 88 **** a tank it too would only leak above a half tank, and it was born in MI with the lower plastic shield.

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
Tank is in! Didn't get done until midnight (started @ 7:30pm, rear brake line along the frame decided to take a ****, the same exact spot that leaked on my 98, the plastic piece right behind where the frame curves down, go figure. Removed the tank Monday evening, took 2 hours). We ended up just putting the plastic piece back on, hopefully it lasts another 10 years. I'm glad the fuel system is new (except the fuel pump, which was replaced before I bought it), hopefully I shouldn't have to replace anything expensive for a while (*knock on wood*), this breakdown costed around $400, if you include refueling. :nono:

Forgot pics yesterday again, finally got some:

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
Continued...

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm wondering if I should add a new tank to the list of parts to hose down. Learning my truck is from up north makes me nervous about all the parts on the underside I can't see.

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
I'm wondering if I should add a new tank to the list of parts to hose down. Learning my truck is from up north makes me nervous about all the parts on the underside I can't see.
imo, I personally wouldn't worry about it, judging by how clean your truck is. My 98 is more rusty than yours, and the tank is still in decent shape, even though it is a little rusty at the top, and since I am not driving it through the salt anymore, it should slow down the rotting process (I hope...).