2500's can't tow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chewy11B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you understand what the weight to tow ratio is for surge brakes to properly apply?? That's where the weight ratings come from. What people never understand is how much truck it takes to actually apply the brakes in a panic stop. Surge brakes were outlawed by the federal government for some time......that is why Uhaul uses the rating they do. It is not because they are conservative, they are realistic when it comes to not killing others in a bad situation........rant over

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can't you rent elsewhere? I think Uhaul doesn't take into account manufacturers' options for towing, i,e., rear axle gear ratio, engine oil/transmission oil cooler, etc. You also have to take into account tongue weight, GVWR, etc.

I would look at your owner's manual and VIN for the real number. Heck I see 1500s towing on the interstate something like what you want to tow all the time around here. I'm assuming trailers have brakes with brake controller wired up.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If what you say is true, it still doesn't debunk Uhaul's logic. A 1500 Suburban can't load the actuator the way OP's truck could with hydroboost.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If what you say is true, it still doesn't debunk Uhaul's logic. A 1500 Suburban can't load the actuator the way OP's truck could with hydroboost.

x2

That 5,200 lbs Pathfinder with massive 4 wheel discs for its size stops on a dime compared to the 1500 Van. I had a ~1500 lbs utility trailer that does not have brakes almost push the van though an intersection on a rainy day. The Pathfinder stopped straight in the same situation. 4 channel ABS disc brakes work alot better than undersized 3 channel disc/drum that just want to lock the rears causing the vehicle to push through the front brakes. Theory debunked. I think it purely has to do with a percentage of towed weight to tow vehicle weight myself. In a panic brake I had those surge brakes locked with the Pathfinder. That being said those surge brakes are so oversensitive that downshifting applies the trailer brakes.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can't you rent elsewhere? I think Uhaul doesn't take into account manufacturers' options for towing, i,e., rear axle gear ratio, engine oil/transmission oil cooler, etc. You also have to take into account tongue weight, GVWR, etc.

I would look at your owner's manual and VIN for the real number. Heck I see 1500s towing on the interstate something like what you want to tow all the time around here. I'm assuming trailers have brakes with brake controller wired up.

I have towed over triple what my 2000 1500 was rated for. It pulled it ok but didnt stop it worth a flip. And after a few years of doing that kinda stuff it bent the frame. Not bad but you can tell its been abused.
Even towing 6000# with a 1500 can be iffy if its on C rated tires and such.
After doing sway control, weight distribution hitch, Helper air bags, tandem brakes, and E rated tires, it makes a huge difference but its amazing how much more comfortable it is to tow with a 2500 and 3500 vs a 1500.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OP, take a look at the Owner's Manual. Page 4-50 lists a C2500 with towing capacities as follow:

3.42 6,000 lbs. (2 724 kg)
3.73 7,000 lbs. (3 178 kg)
4.10 8,000 Ibs. (3 632 kg)

http://assets.gm.com/manuals/chevrolet/1996_chevrolet_1500_owners.pdf

Check your glovebox for the RPO code for the axle ratio. Looks like at worst case, you have enough truck.

From the manual:

"Weight of the Trailer

How heavy can a trailer safely be?

It depends on how you plan to use your rig. For example, speed, altitude, road grades, outside temperature and how much your vehicle is used to pull a trailer are all important. And, it can also depend on any special equipment that you have on your vehicle.

Use one of the following charts to determine how much your vehicle can weigh, based upon your vehicle model and options.

Maximum trailer weight is calculated assuming the driver and one passenger are in the tow vehicle and it has all the required trailering equipment. The weight of additional optional equipment, passengers and cargo in the tow vehicle must be subtracted from the maximum trailer weight.

Above the 2,000 lbs. (908 kg) trailer rating, the engine oil cooler is required on C/K- 1500 models with gas engines and C/K-2500 models with gas engines and 3.73 (or lower) axle ratio.

Above the 4,000 lbs. (1 800 kg) trailer rating, heavy-duty or gas shock absorbers are required on C- 1500 models, and heavy-duty shock absorbers or the off-road chassis package are required on K-1500 models."

I hope this helps!

Cng2500hd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I tow stuff with my 98' c2500 8lug "HD" 5.7l 4l80e truck all the time. U haul thinks everyone needs a 1ton to haul a golf cart.

Chrisdidwht

Reaction score
OP, take a look at the Owner's Manual. Page 4-50 lists a C2500 with towing capacities as follow:

3.42 6,000 lbs. (2 724 kg)
3.73 7,000 lbs. (3 178 kg)
4.10 8,000 Ibs. (3 632 kg)

http://assets.gm.com/manuals/chevrolet/1996_chevrolet_1500_owners.pdf

Check your glovebox for the RPO code for the axle ratio. Looks like at worst case, you have enough truck.

From the manual:

"Weight of the Trailer

How heavy can a trailer safely be?

It depends on how you plan to use your rig. For example, speed, altitude, road grades, outside temperature and how much your vehicle is used to pull a trailer are all important. And, it can also depend on any special equipment that you have on your vehicle.

Use one of the following charts to determine how much your vehicle can weigh, based upon your vehicle model and options.

Maximum trailer weight is calculated assuming the driver and one passenger are in the tow vehicle and it has all the required trailering equipment. The weight of additional optional equipment, passengers and cargo in the tow vehicle must be subtracted from the maximum trailer weight.

Above the 2,000 lbs. (908 kg) trailer rating, the engine oil cooler is required on C/K- 1500 models with gas engines and C/K-2500 models with gas engines and 3.73 (or lower) axle ratio.

Above the 4,000 lbs. (1 800 kg) trailer rating, heavy-duty or gas shock absorbers are required on C- 1500 models, and heavy-duty shock absorbers or the off-road chassis package are required on K-1500 models."

I hope this helps!

I will definitely read more into it thanks!