246 transfer case questions/NP8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gebo44

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just received my new 246/NP8 transfer case today from Bulldog /The Gear Shop. It didn’t come with sensors. My 2 questions are
1( if I use the old sensors out of my old case, will it just be plug and play or is there relearning that needs to happen.?
2( if I get new sensors is there learning and synching I need to have done.?
I called a transmission/transfer case shop today and they said that since mine is in a 99 and its a NP8 246 none of that is necessary. I just need to get some more opinions on it if anyone knows on here. Here is the tag off my old case…, the new one is the same case.

Attachments

• 297F6036-618E-4E58-9018-C1E5984A9669.jpeg
    297F6036-618E-4E58-9018-C1E5984A9669.jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 5

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have never seen a true "relearn" procedure on any system on any GMT400 truck ever. That's a much more modern FRED computer deal.

Except maybe readiness monitors. But then they dont affect running conditions...

Transfer case sensors are either "work" or "doesnt work". Though there might be an adjustment on the t-case position sensor, relating to front axle actuator...

FRED:

F-ing
Ridiculous
Electronical
Device

Gebo44

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never seen a true "relearn" procedure on any system on any GMT400 truck ever. That's a much more modern FRED computer deal.

Except maybe readiness monitors. But then they dont affect running conditions...

Transfer case sensors are either "work" or "doesnt work". Though there might be an adjustment on the t-case position sensor, relating to front axle actuator...

FRED:

F-ing
Ridiculous
Electronical
Device

FRED:

F-ing
Ridiculous
Electronical
Device
Ido know that there are TCCM relearn procedures. But I haven’t found where I will have to do it on this 99 tahoe. And I know the sensor on the TC and transmission correlate the speed of the shafts. I just don’t know if they sync on there own or have to be synced by me using a scanner tool.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Aren't those speed sensors the same as the ones in the transmission? Or they probably operate in the same way?

There's nothing to relearn. They just count how fast the reluctor wheels inside the units are spinning, just like in the transmissions.

Gebo44

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aren't those speed sensors the same as the ones in the transmission? Or they probably operate in the same way?

There's nothing to relearn. They just count how fast the reluctor wheels inside the units are spinning, just like in the transmissions.
Yes they are basically the same. I know they are linked and talk to each other. I appreciate you responding to me. I’m going to just transfer the old ones on the new case and see what happens.., If anything! I may put new ones! I’m going to see if orileys has them and how much they all are. I’m sure they’ll try to price gouge me pretty deep like they always do. Have a good night. I’ll post the outcome next week when I do the trans-case. It’s going to be snowing here and cold the next day or so…, it’ll have to warm up before I do this in that driveway for sure! I have this steering box to put on also.