241 Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmhscorpion

Reaction score
Im sure you are trying to keep from doing this though but only thing I can think is support the trans and pull the crossmember remove bolt and depending on how long its going to be out put crossmember back to hold trans up.
I pulled the cross member when I did mine...

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Got the transfer case all put back together and have it back in the truck with everything back in its place. I got to thinking though…I pulled the transfer case to do a slip yoke eliminator and am having a one piece driveshaft made. So now there’s no carrier bearing/support, meaning the transfer case is just hanging on with no more support, not that the carrier bearing support was a huge support but was some support for sure. I know trucks have been this way for years and years but was thinking about maybe building myself a tail housing support of some kind. Am I just overthinking it?

Yes. The carrier bearing was there only for the driveshaft. To counter the 4wd trucks having the t-case hanging out so far, they got those goofy rods that go from the bellhousing to the motor mounts. I can tell you they work. When I 4L80 swapped my 1500 I rebuilt a 2wd trans and converted it over. I was still missing the cast aluminum lower bellhousing and those rods. The truck had a vibration around 3500 RPMs until I went to the junkyard and got those pieces.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought the center carrier bearing was to prevent vibration of the long driveshaft. The videos I've seen where they convert to a single, long driveshaft, the new driveshaft has a larger outside diameter. I'm guessing that helps with vibration?

I don't know anything about the slip yoke eliminator...

DTrain

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I guess I was mainly wondering about the transfer case just hanging out back there. I know the carrier bearing support is to help the driveshaft length and support for the driveshaft itself, but it seems like it has some sort of support on the transfer case as well. Mainly wondering if the transfer case is cool just hanging off the tranny.

DTrain

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got a new driveshaft made up and installed. I only backed the truck up maybe a couple inches…but good to see the truck moving again on its own power

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope that new driveshaft has a really-huge OD. If not, you're going to be in trouble at higher speed.

How, exactly, does a one-piece driveshaft work with a slip-yoke eliminator on the transfer case? Photos?

The driveshaft center bearing provides zero support for the transfer case. The two-piece driveshaft just eliminates the "whip" encountered with long driveshafts. Since there's a hinge in the middle of the two-piece shaft, the bearing merely connects the center of the shaft to something solid.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Iv seen (on the internet or maybe even on here) where someone had a 1 piece driveshaft made up for a built extended cab c1500. while in a drag race the driveshaft twisted like a pop can, popped out of the tranny, folded completely over and flipped the truck.

If I could find that example I would show you....

Last edited: