2015 Style Tow Mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
Ok. As we all have seen in the "Finally GMT800 Tow Mirrors" thread, the new 2015 style tow mirrors are out for GMT400 trucks. I decided to go ahead and make a separate thread for these new mirrors, and the pros/cons of them, for those of you just tuning into the forum, and don't want to read 100 pages of tow mirror discussion to get to the new mirrors.

I was one of the first, if not the first, to get a set of these mirrors back in November. I installed them and they looked great, only problem was they aren't wired properly and the power doesn't work. Here's my "pre install" video.

First, the link to purchase from the seller I did.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/88-98-Chevy...ash=item25b1512e8b:g:AbkAAOSwiwVWSXGF&vxp=mtr

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I put them on and love the way they look and function, aside from the fact they don't adjust.

Now on to the other "bad" with these mirrors.

I have had them for 3 months, learned you have to take them apart to get the wiring right, and the power needs fixed by re-pinning the plug. Simple enough, that's not what I am worried about. Check out this photo.

You must be registered for see images attach

My driver side mirror has cracked in two places, as shown above. I don't off road, I've only used them slid out one time, and I have these stress cracks. Before, I had the GMT800 style mirrors for 4 years and never had one single problem. I have contacted the seller multiple times, and just sent a message to a different seller today, since they are all the same person essentially, shipping from the same city. Video below.

I have heard absolutely nothing from the seller, and they are using my photos to advertise, with my permission, they had no trouble messaging me for those photos and my feedback. Aside from these problems, I honestly can say I love the mirrors, the view, and the look, they just have some issues. I'd like anyone else with problems to chime in, and post a photo so I can have everyone in one place to keep track of the issue.

For those of you who can't seem to find these, please watch this.

Thanks, everyone. I hope this helps you out!

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
This is actually a good idea to have the two mirrors separated. Luckily (knock on wood) mine haven't had a problem yet. But I've only had them on for about a month and a week or two. I also did the 99-02 fully loaded mirrors with heat and swapped them on my GMT800 style GMT400 bases. I got them from the same seller as 97PROSHOZ71, but again, mine are the 99-02 heated mirrors put onto my old mirror bases.

Might as well tell my story of them. I got them January 6, 2016 and I liked them out of the box. Semed heavier in construction, defiantly weighted more than my old GMT800 style mirrors and I love the look of them.

Then I disassembled the mirrors to separate the clarence light and glass turn signal. I ended taking it more apart than this, I had everything separated.

I even took the clearance light apart and put some Klearz lenses on them and put LED strips in place of the amber circuit boards.

Then I put them all back together with the separation of the glass and turn signal. This is them right after I installed them. I also painted the chrome black.

Then a couple of weeks ago I make a video on them, sorta a review and also how I had the lighting on them wired up. This was before any cracking started on anyone's mirrors, but I still don't change my opinion. I love these mirrors, have a much better visibility than the GMT800 style, less shaky than the GMT800 style (both pulled in and pulled out), and I love the overall look. I've loved the K2XX style mirrors since GM introduced them.

(video kinda shaky and I stumble over my words a bit. First time doing something like this, but I did upload another video earlier this week with my lighting setup and I think it came out better. Hope it did because I'm trying to get back into YouTube, just with me actually talking and explaining things and not being mute.)

And finally what it looks like now, with just the mirrors, no lights on. I had them pulled out for the first time over the weekend pulling a trailer and like I said, they do better pulled out than the GMT800 style with so much more visibility and less glass shake. But with everyone's cracking, or at least with some people's cracking I was pretty paranoid and keeping an eye on them. Nothing happened and I still see nothing. (knock on wood) But I'll still agree with 97PROSHOZ71 and say be aware that there is some problems with these first models and they might crack due to either weak plastic or bad molds with not enough support.

Last edited:

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
Also I might as well post the 95+ mirror wiring diagrams like i did in the last thread for the people that might need to re pin the connector.

Here's the quotes from the other mirror thread. (you can just expand the quote and click on any of the 3 pictures and it'll take you to a full size picture you can download)
Here's the wiring diagram. I don't know how accurate the colors are though. the driver side on mine had 2 reds and they were the ground but my passenger side didn't have red I don't think.

These two might be easier to read. They also have some voltage paths mapped out so you can understand it better if you haven't seen wiring diagrams before.

These are all off a '95 by the way but should be the same throughout all 95+ trucks with the updated interiors. (besides wiring colors, like I said, my passenger side was different.)

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got them installed and working with the factory switch.Really like the towing mirrors can see everything now.
Any pictures of the wiring or info on it?

metalmagget

Reaction score
Any pictures of the wiring or info on it?
I plugged in the 4 way plug, cut the wires and stripped them back and began the hunt. This is on my 1995 dually with power unheated mirrors. Up was yellow,down was orange,green was out,orange with stripe was in. I began the search and here's the result,your mileage may vary,
1.Yellow wire goes to orange with stripe,
2. green to green
3.orange to orange.
4.orange wire with stripe to yellow.
With this setup its fully functional with the factory switch no other wiring was needed just change up the wires,hope this helps someone else......

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
Alright, I've had a couple of people come to me asking me how to wire the clearance light and the glass turn arrow and how to use the diodes. This will make the front clearance light act as a running light and a turn signal.

Well, first of all, you have to separate the mirror and cut the common power wire on either the glass or the front clearance light to separate them. Then connect another wire to the one you cut and run that wire back through the mirror to the end where the plugs are. After that you can pretty much follow this diagram I made.

I made this to where it can be used with both the GMT800 style and K2XX style mirrors. It's also only the power side of the circuit since you don't have to mess with the ground side.

(right click on image and open in new tab to get full size image, or just click it and download it from my Flickr)

ray_z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, is the consensus on these to buy two sets? One set of the 99-02 GMT800 and another of the GMT400?

Just so I'm clear, this solves two issues.
  • Provides Heated glass
  • Resolves cracking on the arms
Edit: For Grammar

Last edited:

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
So, is the consensus on these to buy two sets? One set for the 99-02 and another for the GMT400?

Just so I'm clear, this solves two issues.
  • Provides Heated glass
  • Resolves cracking on the arms

That is correct. One set is the 99-02 and the other is the 88-98 (can be the old style). So far I haven't had my arms crack and of the others that got the 99-02 set as far as I know haven't had a problem either.