2005 Polaris Sportsman 700 Twin - The Basketcase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I previously mentioned this acquisition in the thread for my 96 K2500; I figured I've made enough progress so far to be able to post and give a little story to it.
I bought this from a good friend of mine for $1000; it ran like a scalded dog although it wasn't without it's quirks or malfunctions...he received it in a trade deal from his uncle; and my friend's plan was to fix it enough to run it and then this was going to be the redheaded step child of his ATV collection. But since it's now in my possession, it will live out it's days with light to moderate trail riding and the occasional muddy field. I was planning on buying a new ATV at the time, but with almost every dealer looking at a 4 to 5 month back order, and the used ATV market was (and still is) fairly ridiculous, I think I'll be willing to put a little money and effort into this.
You must be registered for see images attach

I've been slam busy with life, work, planning for a wedding, trying to find a house, maintaining my current truck as well as getting everything lined up to tear into my 2000 K3500 my brother and I rescued from a salvage yard.
So as time allows, I'll chip away little by little until it's trail ready; I'm mainly going to focus on keeping the mechanical portion of this thing in tip top shape, while the cosmetics I'm not too worried about.
It had 0 bushings all around, apparently it's a common trend in Polaris ATVs for the bushings to disintegrate, which them being made of plastic is not surprising. I was hoping to get maybe poly or even improved rubber bushings, but no luck. Factory Polaris plastic bushings ordered and waiting to go in now.
Brakes. Front brakes replaced by my friend, he had plans to repair the non-functioning back brakes until he discovered the left rear caliper had been removed; hopefully I can just replace the lines, caliper, pads, give the system a good flush and bleed and it'll be good as new. Hopefully.

Most of the plastics are cracked, faded, and busted up. So far I've just scuffed them up and sprayed them with implement paint so it looks a little better and the paint will hold up to abuse to a certain degree, I'm still trying to figure out what to paint the fenders and such, I can't find a green that matches, so I'm thinking a gray of some sort for ***** and giggles. Anything is going to be better than the scratched up plastics it has now.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My dad had a slightly older 500 when I was younger, that thing would peg the speedometer at 60MPH pretty quickly if you held it wide open. I imagine a 700 would be even more fun! We used to joke that it was a truck without a cab, ours had a trailer hitch and a snow plow.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My dad had a slightly older 500 when I was younger, that thing would peg the speedometer at 60MPH pretty quickly if you held it wide open. I imagine a 700 would be even more fun! We used to joke that it was a truck without a cab, ours had a trailer hitch and a snow plow.

This thing definitely has some scoot; on my test drive I had it up to 55 on my friend's gravel driveway, kind of an eye opening thing when you realize how f_cking fast that is with no protective gear!
This one had a hitch, and allegedly came with a snow plow, but the plow is long gone now.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Played around with some paints this afternoon; this is Rustoleum Peel-Coat; but I scuffed up the plastics before I sprayed and it honestly came out better than I expected, there's a few spots where it bubbled up because I didn't get it rough enough, but I'll probably sand it a little and spray another coat or two on. Don't know how well it'll hold up going through the woods though. Most everything cosmetic is getting an Alabama overhaul for the time being, a fresh coat of paint and a good grease job.

I got a wild hair and decided to start in on replacing the bushings, for simplicity sakes I only did the fronts for now. Not too bad of a job, I used an ungodly amount of grease upon reinstallation so hopefully these new plastic bushings will have a decent service life.

No bushing at all!

Still doesn't make much sense these damned things being plastic,

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh wow! Neglected project status!
Life sort of made me put this project on the back burner. It's still a work in progress, but it's kind of hard to work on it with no kind of "solid" work surface like a concrete pad to tinker on any more.
But riding season is upon us, and my friend keeps giving me **** about neglecting this.

No pics, but managed to get the rest of the bushings installed, the handle bar bushings and bearing are putting up a bit of a fight so it's slow going until I can figure out an easier way to replace those.
Brakes are pretty well shot, and I'm debating between coughing up and redoing brakes all the way around with all new parts, or just focusing on the troublesome parts. I'm leaning towards replacing specific parts, but who knows, maybe I'll get a wild hair

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well a bit of a bittersweet end to this project.

Sold for $700 today, I don't have the time for it and I need the cash. So it went to a couple of nice gentleman who fix and flip ATVs as a side gig.

Attachments

• PXL_20230121_171026806.jpg
    PXL_20230121_171026806.jpg
    801 KB · Views: 5

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought it for 1,000; it's cheap but this thing as the title implies was an absolute basket case. I could've gotten more but honestly I just wanted it gone at that point.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a basket case one for $500 a few years ago. Needed a ton of new parts! but it ran good. Both new clutches, All new bushings and that was just the start of it. Rode it for a summer and sold it for $5.500.

Attachments

• Day 1.jpg
    Day 1.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210312_154036228_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210312_154036228_HDR.jpg
    543.6 KB · Views: 5

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got a basket case one for $500 a few years ago. Needed a ton of new parts! but it ran good. Both new clutches, All new bushings and that was just the start of it. Rode it for a summer and sold it for $5.500.
Damn that one looks way nicer.

I am hoping to save up and buy a decent 700 or 500; something that I can do a little maintenance too and ride it with no problems. I'll find one, but it still sucks to get rid of a project.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 700 sportsmen are tanks that run forever. The only reason i sold it was for down payments on these two for the wife and i.

Attachments

• 10493.jpeg
    10493.jpeg
    371.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20210828_140632783_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210828_140632783_HDR.jpg
    392.8 KB · Views: 3