2004 Gmc 2500hd from the ground up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97 bowtie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry it took a ****, but badass fix! Let me know how that monster trans works. Thinking about getting one myself.

Will do soon as it’s rolling, I got it with there converter and there synthetic trans fluid we’ll see how she handles I’m excited for it

97 bowtie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Parts and progress

You must be registered for see images attach

97 bowtie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got a lot done over the weekend, the combination of parts I came up with worked perfectly. For the front accessory drive setup. Intake bolted on good, injectors are in exhaust hooked up coils are bolted down, I need to wire it up, put spark plugs and fluids in it and attempt to fire it up this week.

97 bowtie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Progress report, I had to junk the original steam vent setup and get one that bypasses the throttle body and incorporates the back two steam ports. I also chopped the steam port off the throttle body it’s just a junction point for the hoses to meet there’s not actually a coolant passage running through the tb.

I did the electric fan wiring instal and it look like it’s been there from the factory since day one. I had to pull the computer unplug it and run two wires to it and push them into factory holes with the factory pins.

I got a new radiator installed the radiator support fans power steering cooler and ac condenser.

got the wiring harness pretty much completed both under the truck and under the hood. Shifter cable has been routed, vent hose setup is ran, exhaust is permanently hung, ground strap from motor to fire wall is ran. A lot got done this week.

97 bowtie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also got the plugs and wires ran and put erl in the motor. I have to finish up a few things then I can get this puppy fired up and hear it roar

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Wow that throttle body is crusty looking.

I'd be hesitant to cut that coolant connection off. It did warm the throttle body even if it wasn't a lot. GM put it there for a reason. Given that you're in NY, you may need it to prevent icing. Having said that, you may have eliminated the need for it with your aluminum intake.... the old one was plastic and likely insulated the throttle body from a lot of heat. My 454 does not have a heated throttle body and the factory intake is aluminum, where as the 350 had the heated throttle body and the plastic upper intake.

Good work on the truck..... you going to glue that rod back together with that Titebond? :D

97 bowtie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The throttle body and injectors will most likely be upgraded once it’s running and tuned. I’m just trying to get it to the point of running first then when it gets tuned I’ll know what I can do for a tb and bigger injectors

97 bowtie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Moving along I got a new radiator for the truck so everything starts fresh and clean, so that’s in along with the electric fans.

the lower radiator hose worked with a little trimming of the ends to shorten it ever so slightly, the upper hose is on order. I had to get a custom steam vent kit with an lines and fittings so now all four ports on the heads are being utilized.

Mounted a bigger trans cooler, two cores with a fan and temperature switch doohickey. Just need couplers to adapt the factory line connections from the factory cooler to the new heavy duty one. It’s all this little bs that takes the most time to figure out gotta love working on cars and trucks

97 bowtie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got the trans cooler plumbed up today had to take the factory lines and had to redesign them to basically take a few factory bends out and make them lower to fit the new trans cooler, I was able to take the factory connections out of the stock cooler and get them to work with the 6an fittings I had to get to mate them to the cooler. But it’s all sealed up and the trans has fluid in it. A step in the rite direction. She’s getting real close to being fired up !!!

97 bowtie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found an upper radiator hose, got everything reconnected enough to start and run the motor. It sounds like it’s happy !!!