2003 Mazda Protege5 No start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

__CHI__

Low Life
Reaction score
If it's not a bad ground, I'm going to of off on a limb and guess that it might be a factory/aftermarket alarm preventing it from starting?
It doesn’t have an alarm or anything either. This is easily the biggest headache I’ve encountered with a vehicle

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's getting fuel out of the exhaust and the ignition is sparking an alarm system is not the issue.

_CHI_, I'm assuming you pulled a plug, grounded it, and made sure it was visibly sparking.

Are you getting any misfiring, backfiring, etc? Or just empty cranking? With misfire or backfire I'd consider it a timing issue, but you're saying no fire at all.

How old is the gas in the tank? If all else is good and you're getting nothing, drain that tank and the fuel lines and put fresh gas in it.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I have a 2010 mazda 3, 2L engine.... they seem well built but I admittedly have not worked on many vehicles this new. Is it normal for them to kill a battery if it's not started in a month or so even with a good battery? I think it's normal so I have the battery disconnected. With it's fairly deceint crash ratings I gave it to my 16year old daughter that dosent seem very interested in driving, so I gave it to my 15 year old daughter who is very eager to learn. LOL some healthy competition has got the older daughters ass in gear.

Lol

Man iv been watching this thread and I also think bad gas may be the culprit. It happened to me aswell with the 2010 and after a bunch of TS I went and bought new gas, put stabilizer in it. Realized I didnt have much fuel in the system and so I didnt bother draining. Fired right up almost instantly, I felt like a dumbass wasting my time.

Al

Last edited:

__CHI__

Low Life
Reaction score
If it's getting fuel out of the exhaust and the ignition is sparking an alarm system is not the issue.

_CHI_, I'm assuming you pulled a plug, grounded it, and made sure it was visibly sparking.

Are you getting any misfiring, backfiring, etc? Or just empty cranking? With misfire or backfire I'd consider it a timing issue, but you're saying no fire at all.

How old is the gas in the tank? If all else is good and you're getting nothing, drain that tank and the fuel lines and put fresh gas in it.
It’s got brand new gas in it. It won’t even fire on starting fluid but it gets constant spark while cranking. It did have some nasty gas in the tank but I made sure to flush the lines and tank out before I put fresh gas in