2000 L29 454 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
This is my first post here.
The Truck this motor will be going into is my 1998 Chevy K3500 Crew Cab Dually with 140k miles. The 454 that's in it is full of sludge and the oil and oil filter always has metal flakes in it. I've been driving it like this for 7 years, the metal in the oil is getting really bad and the motor has developed a tick. Last oil change had small metal chunks in it. Its time for a fresh build.

I got a L29 454 from a 2000 Express van from a junk yard for 800 Dollars.
I plan on doing a full rebuild to it and my goal is 400 plus horsepower. Preferably over 450 hp
I will be doing a 0411 PCM swap. From my understanding I should contact LexTech for a Pin out diagram.
Im also looking at getting JBA long tube headers and a EGR delete.
For the cam shaft I'm looking at the ZZ502 Cam. I just don't know what modifications I will have to do to the heads to make that cam work and will the stock valve train/rockers work with that Cam ?
I will be porting the heads, maybe even get the heads shaved to bump the compression.
I will be using the stock bottom end.

If anyone has any recommendations for what cam I should use and any mods that will help with power let me know.
Also not sure what fuel injectors I should be using for the power I want.

Attachments

• thumbnail_Image.jpg
    thumbnail_Image.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 10
  • thumbnail_Image (2).jpg
    thumbnail_Image (2).jpg
    191 KB · Views: 9
  • thumbnail_Image (1).jpg
    thumbnail_Image (1).jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 9

Nick_R_23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ZZ502 cam needs the guides milled for clearance, the lift specs will cause the retainers to hit the guides otherwise. It’s an easy modification and any machine shop can handle the task. You will also want to verify PTV clearance or have the machine shop perform it for you if they will be assembling the engine. You will also absolutely want a valve spring upgrade. Stock springs are incredibly weak. A Comp XR276HR or similar will also wake the engine up very well

If you’re doing a full rebuild, have the block decked with the pistons .010” in the hole, and use the appropriate head gasket to target a proper quench. Have the heads decked just enough to obtain a flat surface.

You should be able to run LS3 injectors and support all your mods with no issues. I believe LS3 injectors are capable of supporting around 600HP, so you have a good safety margin not to run into too high of a duty cycle.

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am in the middle of the same build for my 97 dually k3500, here: https://www.gmt400.com/threads/99-l29-454-build.54517/

Many cam companies make good Gen 6 cams, but they are all out of stock for the next 3-6 months due to a cam core shortage. I had my stock cam reground for more lift and a tighter LSA. Most cam changes will require an upgrade to an adjustable valvetrain. I am using a full comp cams valvetrain - 3149kt timing set, 1411 roller tip rockers, 911 valve springs, 748 retainers, 612 locks, 504 seals, 4514 rocker studs, 4779 spring rotator eliminators (2 sets of 8 needed as all springs have rotators). I expect to need a full set of custom length pushrods, but haven't gotten that far yet.

My heads are being ported right now, and I expect they will flow far better than the stock manifold can keep up with. Check my thread over the next week when I get them flowed on a Superflow flow bench.