2000 K3500 Crew Cab Long Box Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The cam and lifters do make a difference, I can attest to that. Motor makes more power everywhere, same curve as stock.

Chackerman

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Managed to finish sanding the bottom of the cab and applied 2 coats of bedliner last night. Should get me a few more years. I’ll touch up after cutting the hole for the NV4500.

You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Not looking forward to this type of work if I ever move back to the rust belt.

Chackerman

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Opened up the 350 that’s going in the build. Everything looks good aside from some minor surface rust on one cylinder from sitting for 10 years and condensation. A little wd40 and elbow grease and it cleanup up well enough for my liking. Pulled the cam, cleaned gasket residue off. Next step is a final clean and then to start installing parts and buttoning the engine back up. Good to see that the moly rings I installed for the initial rebuild set nicely on the cylinders and didn’t rust in place.

Also need to tap and block off the coolant bypass hole since this is a TBI block

Chackerman

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Installed the camshaft. Then the timing set. Then removed the timing set. Set I ordered from rockauto does not have the clearance needed for the camshaft retainer bolts. Also provides 0 endplay to the point I can’t turn the cam by hand.

Had a bad feeling when I ordered the engine tech ts784 set, should have gone with cloyes in the first place. New set is on the way.

Chackerman

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any advice on the clutch disc I have currently. Looks to me like there is some life left(based on distance to the rivets). Any thoughts?

Chackerman

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Installed the camshaft. Then the timing set. Then removed the timing set. Set I ordered from rockauto does not have the clearance needed for the camshaft retainer bolts. Also provides 0 endplay to the point I can’t turn the cam by hand.

Had a bad feeling when I ordered the engine tech ts784 set, should have gone with cloyes in the first place. New set is on the way.

New cloyes timing set arrived. Fit very well. Got it installed, timing cover on, harmonic balancer/pulley on, CPS installed, heads on, lifters, pushrods and rockers on and set valve lash. Busy last couple evenings.

Chackerman

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since the donor block is a TBI engine , I tapped the water pump Bypass hole for 1/8” NPT and sealed it off. This will allow me to run the stock vortec waterpump.

Also got the new rear main seal installed tonight. Next steps are oil pan, prime with oil, then intakes& headers.

Chackerman

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got the oil pan, and oil filter adapter on. Installed new filter and primed the oil system with an old distributor with the gear removed.

Oil to both sides of the valvetrain makes me happy. Once done I installed a new waterpump.

Intake and valve covers will go on next. Getting close to being ready to drop it in the frame.

Chackerman

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got the intake and valve covers on! Seem to be making decent progress when I can spend an hour or two each night after the kids go to bed.