2000 K3500 4x4 CC DRW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nah, not for my use.
A toy hauler is ideal for my needs:
-Dry camping in the desert
-Hauling dirtbikes (one day a Razor turbo, a man can dream!)
-Large fresh and black tank capacity
-Able to haul firewood in the bed
-Being able to drive the truck places without moving camp
-Room for 4 people to not be super cramped

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
How big are the tanks in the toy haulers? I'd be inclined to grab a 5er toy hauler myself were I going that route. Do they suck to pull with no toys? FWIW I have 39 gallon fresh and grey, black is almost as big plus the 5 gallon water heater. I do shudder at the though of off roading that pig though even if I did lift my truck. I did pull my 24' car hauler behind that mess with no issues though. They don't make gooseneck toyhaulers do they? A gooseneck seems like it'd have better articulation for off road excursions, but old farts would never buy them because the tongue isn't air ride.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Size of the tank can vary from overall size also make and model. Some abt 50gal others can hold 100gal. Also I just saw a 5th wheel but with a gooseneck bolted onto the trailer.
When I was hauling livestock I had a gooseneck in my truck so I purchased the b&w companion sliding hitch. The trailer was still able to have an air bag hitch but never purchased one. Only complaint was that thing was heavy to move around so I left it attached to the trailer an just lifted it out of the gooseneck reciever.

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How big are the tanks in the toy haulers? I'd be inclined to grab a 5er toy hauler myself were I going that route. Do they suck to pull with no toys? FWIW I have 39 gallon fresh and grey, black is almost as big plus the 5 gallon water heater. I do shudder at the though of off roading that pig though even if I did lift my truck. I did pull my 24' car hauler behind that mess with no issues though. They don't make gooseneck toyhaulers do they? A gooseneck seems like it'd have better articulation for off road excursions, but old farts would never buy them because the tongue isn't air ride.
Most of the newer ones come with 100 fresh, which comes in handy when you need to take showers after long ass rides.
I'd love a 5er if it was short enough, I like the pull through where the furniture folds up and out of the way for the toys vs. the dedicated garage type which are always huge.
I haven't seen any gooseneck haulers though I'm sure they can be converted.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
New complete A/C, plus another goodie while I was at it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Big ass trans cooler?
How's the idle with your cam? I've been trying to find audio clips of Vortec 454s with upgraded cam shafts, and I can only either find stock sounding, or a ridiculous amount of lope.

I've also thought about converting an enclosed trailer into a toy hauler; I know my dad's talked about trading our 32' bunkhouse for a 5er toyhauler a couple years down the road.

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Big ass trans cooler?
How's the idle with your cam? I've been trying to find audio clips of Vortec 454s with upgraded cam shafts, and I can only either find stock sounding, or a ridiculous amount of lope.

I've also thought about converting an enclosed trailer into a toy hauler; I know my dad's talked about trading our 32' bunkhouse for a 5er toyhauler a couple years down the road.
Idle is like stock, I think I posted a video in this thread a while back. Still haven't tuned it though.
What kind of camping do you do? I like the toy hauler for convenience with off road toys. And the 5er helps handling and reduces overall length.

How hot was your trans getting before?
It stays around 170-180 normal driving, towing up a grade raises to 210-230.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Is the converter staying locked up said grade? If not, a tune would help out a lot. If so, then bigger cooler is absolutely the answer.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Idle is like stock, I think I posted a video in this thread a while back. Still haven't tuned it though.
What kind of camping do you do? I like the toy hauler for convenience with off road toys. And the 5er helps handling and reduces overall length.

It stays around 170-180 normal driving, towing up a grade raises to 210-230.

My family usually just does campground camping; we go camping at NASCAR races occasionally, but in the future I think I'd enjoy camping and riding at some OHV trails near me.