2000 K2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HerpDerp1919

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Figured I would start a thread so I can keep track of progress all in one spot.

This is my 2000 K2500. I've had a few GMT400s over the years but this is one that I've always wanted. ECLB in the odd year where GM also had the new body style, just because I like to be different apparently. I picked it up for $2200 as 4x4 2500s are hard to find in S. Texas. Has 263k on the clock and a nasty knock/tick that I am really hoping is a cracked flex plate. I've had it since April so I'll post the progress so far.

When I first brought it home
You must be registered for see images attach

In its previous life it was used as a work truck for a concrete crew so it had concrete splattered all over it. I suck at taking pictures of progress, but a couple evenings were spend with old credit cards scraping it off. My fiance was smart and took a picture of one spot.

Before:

After:

HerpDerp1919

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The box was all smashed up and bent, I ended up finding a used one that was in slightly better shape for $100. Not sure if this new one is worth fixing but its a heck of a lot better than the old one.

Went and picked it up, and this was also the trip that my truck decided it no longer wanted to have overdrive and started to tell me that it had no oil pressure.

A little degreaser and a hose:

It was also at this point I decided I was going to take the gooseneck hitch out. After about three days of heat, hammers, pipe wrenches and cheater pipes of various sizes, me and my buddy concluded it was welded in. A few sawzall blades later and it was off.

HerpDerp1919

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the new bed on, while it isn't a "Oh my god that looks amazing" better, its much better than the previous.

S. Texas summer hit and this northerner doesn't do well in the heat so I took a break. But now that its cooling off I'm getting back into it. Hopefully this week I'll get the mechanical oil pressure gauge put in to see if the sending unit is bad or if the truck truly doesn't have any oil pressure. I also found out that the PO had no thermostat in it so the truck never got up to actual operating temperature, so I'm hoping that with new coolant, and a thermostat in place allowing it to get to operating temperature the computer will let the truck shift into OD as it shifts fine when cold, but when it warms up it just kinda "slips" out of OD. No shudders or bucking or anything. But that's all I've got so far!

HerpDerp1919

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got some time to get out and work on the truck today. This truck had zero actual coolant, was all water. So we got some good news and some bad news... Good news is that now with a thermostat in place the transmission will hold overdrive with no issues for the short time I ran it. Bad news is I also hooked up a mechanical oil pressure gauge to check and see what the truck is actually at vs trusting the dash.

Oil psi cold:

Oil psi warm:

So, like a whopping 2psi at idle. Looks like I'll be searching for a decent used engine. So if anyone knows of a decently priced good Vortec 5.7 around San Antonio, TX DM me.

I also learned that you need that Vortec box for the truck to run. Tried starting it without it on to verify that the connections for the gauge were tight and it WAS. NOT. HAPPY. Put the box back on and it started right up.

scottywiley

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome project! Although it's a little ambitious for me. You'll have a good truck when you're done. As you can tell by my avatar, I'm partial to this particular model. My 5.7 has an after market exhaust (Flowmaster muffler with turndowns just behind axle), and a 5 speed manual. Sounds great. Especially with manual trans. Keep up the good work.