2000 k2500 shift lever won't fully engage into 1st on the dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

upper_tanker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all. I noticed a few months ago that my 2000 k2500 plow truck seems like it won't fully engage into 1st according to the light under the 1 on the dash and just the feeling of the lever the shift cable is brand new and the trans just got rebuilt a few days ago (for other reasons). When I pull it down into first, it feels like it doesn't fully "lock" into place, and the light under the 1 doesn't light up. It's currently boxed in by other vehicles at my dad's shop so I haven't had the chance to get it out and see if it's actually in first or not. It feels like it's at a halfway point between 2nd and 1st. I thought maybe the sloppy/wobbly shift lever was the issue, but after tightening the set screw, it still won't fully lock into first to light up the indicator above the 1.

Any ideas what this could be or what I can check for when I'm down there next? I guess it doesn't really matter what it "feels like" as long as it actually goes into first, but it is kind of a pet peeve to have things like this not work how they're supposed to.

upper_tanker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First Guess: Shift cable not adjusted properly.

The folks who rebuilt the transmission should have caught that and fixed it. So either they're slacking, or the problem is somewhere else. They should have noted the issue on the repair order, though.
This is what I thought too, which was my initial reasoning for replacing the cable. I figured since it was at least 10 years old, it could have used it anyways. I installed it prior to the trans rebuild.

Amy idea how to properly set it? When I installed it, the shifter/trans was in park. I put the end on the lever first, then put it on the trans and locked it in place. It goes into the other gears fine and the indicator lights illuminate, just not first gear.

I would have assumed that the trans shop would have installed it correctly, which leads me to think there's a possibility that it's not the cable.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
You pop the plastic center piece out on the shifter cable end at the tranny and then go into the cab and move the shifter up and down through it's full range a million times.... good luck!

I couldnt get that to work and so I set it by hand under the truck. put the shifter in 1st and then put the transmission shift lever actually in 1st. push the plastic thing back in to lock it into place and double check its movement in the cab. if that works good and if it dont... try again