2000 K2500 crew cab

Discussion in 'Street Build Threads' started by 1990sss10, Oct 7, 2018.

1. 1990sss10

1990sss10 Newbie

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/new-member-2000-k2500.42472/

Engine out for a garage rebuild for a little more power.
    [​IMG]

188,000 mile L29. I drove it home about 30 miles after the PO wasted the bearings. Even eating itself alive, it fired right up and drove pretty well.
    [​IMG]

Parts gathering phase. The heads are Pro comp 300cc oval ports. Other than the heads I bought decent parts. Experience and failure has taught me (mostly) to do it right the first time around.
    [​IMG]

EFI setup is changing a little bit. Holley single plane and fuel rails, Ebay 102 mm throttle body, and 50 lb injectors from a 2010 Chevy. Some don't seem to like the 50 lb'ers, but I used them on my turbo ly6 and they worked great for $129 for new units.
    [​IMG]
    I used the stock L29 injector harness. I ended up re-doing the whole harness to fit the new fuel rail arrangement and eliminate the harness adapters.
    [​IMG]

I disassembled the throttle body to make sure it would work. I polished the throttle plate and re-centerd it on the shaft. there were a few small gaps between the blade and the throttle body bore and the plate would rub as it opened. Overall it is a decent piece for $80, but I would highly recommend completely blowing it apart, checking all the clearances and bearings, and using OEM sensors.
    [​IMG]

I did the obligatory 0411 swap. Big thanks to Lextech for the pinout, that job would be impossible for me without it. FYI I dropped the 0411 into the black box mount and slid the stock retaining clip over the one lip of the ECM and it is mounted solid.
    [​IMG]

The truck was sold as having a "flowmaster exhaust".
    [​IMG]
    I found the miter cuts and mounts and decided to scrap the whole thing. The new exhaust will follow the same route, but dual 3" 304 pipes with an x-pipe.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    83GMCK2500 and Christian Steffen like this.
  2. 1990sss10

1990sss10 Newbie

Short block back together. I ended up at 11.3:1 with 30cc domes and a relatively small Lunati cam. I live and drive at 4400 feet and up so I'm hoping it works out. Worst case scenario I have a methanol system worked out in my head.
    [​IMG]

Melling high volume pump. I ordered a stock pickup for the stock pan, but somehow ended up with 1.25" pickup clearance. It was easier to modify than to swap out the pickup. A couple miter cuts and tack welds to the body and I have 9/16" clearance. I also added a hardened drive shaft and metal coupler for peace of mind.
    [​IMG]

A little redneck paint booth
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. 1990sss10

1990sss10 Newbie