2000 K2500 4WD Issue, Wiring Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Repstar

Reaction score
I have a 2000 K2500, manual transmission with the 4x4 shifter on the floor. It has stopped shifting into 4WD and I've spent the past few days reading posts and trying to track down the issue but no luck so far. Looking for leads on what to do next. Main issue is that power isn't getting to the actuator. Power is coming out of the transfer case when I shift it into 4WD but not making it to the actuator. I'm not sure what to look for between the transfer case and the actuator as I'm having issues finding the correct wiring diagram. I *think* this might be it but not 100% sure: https://www.2carpros.com/images/question_images/12455/original.gif

Any suggestions?

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does this help?

Attached, from 1998 service manual.

Attachments

• GMT400 transfer case info.pdf
    675 KB · Views: 17
  • GMT400 transfer case wire routing.pdf
    449.3 KB · Views: 14

Vanishing Point

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
See if these items help your situation: Good Luck and let us know how it turns out for you. Apologies in being Dorman products.

Frequently bought together​

• You must be registered for see images attach
  • +
  • +
Total price:$144.38
Add all three to Cart

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score

See also RockAuto, look here for the actuator and elsewhere for the other parts (thanks for Vanishing Point for the lead):

CHEVROLET > 2000 > K2500 PICKUP > 5.7L V8 > Drivetrain > 4WD Actuator

Repstar

Reaction score
@1998_K1500_Sub Do you know which pages of the GMT400 transfer case info.pdf you attached are applicable to a manual transmission truck with the 4WD shifter on the floor? The page titles don't seem help much but I'm guessing they have to be for different versions. Here are my best guesses starting with page 3 (the first page with a diagram):

Page 3: doesn't apply: looks like it's for a truck with the push button 4WD so not applicable for me
Page 4: not sure
Page 5: applies to my truck: fuse is labeled '4WD', not 'TCASE' and no mention of 4WD buttons
Page 6: not sure
Page 7: not sure
Page 8: doesn't apply: mentions the TCASE fuse and 'automatic 4WD' which doesn't sound like my truck
Page 9: doesn't apply: mentions 'automatic 4WD' which doesn't sound like my truck

You or anyone able to shed any light on which I should specifically be looking at?

Attachments

• GMT400 transfer case info.pdf
    675 KB · Views: 4

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@1998_K1500_Sub Do you know which pages of the GMT400 transfer case info.pdf you attached are applicable to a manual transmission truck with the 4WD shifter on the floor?

No, I don’t, but I included all pages that appeared relevant, assuming the various combinations including yours would be covered. If anything, I think yours is called “Selectable” four wheel drive therein. Also, look mention of your transmission RPO.

I can look in the manuals again later today when I have time… happy to do so, because I learn something in the process.

You can download and peruse the manuals yourself; I’ve posted the link to them on GMT400 a few times, in random places, and can certainly provide it again :)

Ah! See my post here:

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/bypass-o2-sensors.56355/post-1214413

Last edited:

Repstar

Reaction score
No worries @1998_K1500_Sub, don't want to waste your time, the more I research the more I'm thinking that the 99+ GMT400s are just a bit different than the 98's and below when it comes to some of the wiring. I'm starting to think I might have to track down someone with specific knowledge on the 99+ years :confused:

Repstar

Reaction score
Well it snowed and the truck is at the bottom of a hill so I won't be working on it for a bit which might be good. My fall back plan if I couldn't get it sorted out was to go with the a Posi-Lok 4x4 but it seems they were made specifically to replace the thermal actuators (up to 98) so that might not be an option anymore.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No worries @1998_K1500_Sub, don't want to waste your time, the more I research the more I'm thinking that the 99+ GMT400s are just a bit different than the 98's and below when it comes to some of the wiring. I'm starting to think I might have to track down someone with specific knowledge on the 99+ years :confused:

Always glad to help.

Shame the later service manual isn't available on-line like the 1998.