2000 gmc SL heavy 2500 5.7l vortec starts fine then stumbles to sleep

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello GM fans. I've got a twisted issue. Well, more than 1, but I'm looking for advice. When I left in the morning I noticed the engine want running right. 10 miles later I could tell it was a miss. Drove 25 miles that day, nothing hard. Changed plugs n wires, no difference. Changed cap n rotor, no difference. Then the truck sat for 9 months. I come back hard with a cam positioning sensor, water pump, and used battery, with no changes. I just put a new distributor shaft in and boom, different problem. I always roll the key forward till fuel system is pressurized, then start it. It sounds like it pressurizes fine, it starts fine, but then it stumbles more and more at idle and dies. It does that every time. Tried 20 times 1 day, same exact results but 1. 1 time it stayed running for 45 seconds, every other time it goes for about 10. It's not showing a code, but before I changed the distributor shaft it gave me the cam/crank aren't aligned. I think it was P1345. Typical of the cam gear wearing out on the shaft. It's not throwing a code now. I redneck checked fuel pressure and it was really low. Gas didn't squirt more than 4" from the nipple after it died. I have an OBDII, and a couple tool boxes, but that's it. I live off grid, 50 miles from the nearest parts store. No gauges. I've been down with this truck so long I'm ready to get a horse n wagon. I've exhausted any advice localy. Anybody heard of this problem? I need proof of problem before buying anything else. I've got all the time in the world, but money don't grow in this high desert. Thank you for your time.

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
So I found this. Although his symptoms aren't exact to mine, this is the closest I can find to what my issue could possibly be. Understanding how the fuel regulator works, and normally fails, I have to think it could be the fuel regulator, but I haven't found 1 report of the fuel regulator failing like this. But I haven't found any report of any truck pulling this poo. I don't want to drop the fuel tank unnecessarily. I don't want to pull the intake unnecessarily. But I don't want to die in this desert because I didn't do either, either I can't navigate this site very easily. I'll keep trying, but I didn't find a reply, if there is 1. I got a trophy? Thank you for that, to whoever gave me it. If someone can point me in the right direction to find my issue I'll trophy you back lookin for dinner help in a high desert....

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
redneck checked fuel pressure and it was really low.
Have you replaced the fuel filter? That's quick and easy. If that doesn't work, I'd pull the fuel pump assembly, but I don't think that's going to be your problem.

Unfortunately, without real diagnosis tools, you're going to be more reliant on random parts swapping.

Reaction score
Good days upon me. I cleaned the fuel filter, on the frame, charged the hell out of that junk yard battery, and she toed the line. Letter idle for about 5 mins and went n took a nap. Put the last of her bits pieces on and she hasn't skipped a beat. Don't know if what I did did anything, this truck quirky. The brake lights didn't work for 2 years, and then did. 5 guys put their multi meters on it??? Last summer it would start and then shut right back down. Like I shut the key off. Then it didn't. Thanks for your time y'all. This looks like a good forum, I'll see ya around.