2000 GMC K2500 resto/cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
It was suggested that I start a build thread for my current project.here goes
Acquired a 2000 gmc k2500 about a year ago in semi rough shape.225k on the clock, neglected/beat up body... did the usual new truck stuff right away. full tuneup, new bilstein hds all around, calipers and some hawk pads up front, clean n adj the tear shoes, new rad and water pump, fuel pump, fluids and filters, gatorback belt and tensioner.
You must be registered for see images attach

Swapped the mark 3 interior in, replaced the busted grill and banged up doors. Got rid of the two tone with some rattlecan storm grey metallic. Replaced the entire ac system while the dash was apart and grill was off. Threw the bumper from the Tahoe on there as well

Got the interior all done, picked up a 2002 Denali wood grain wheel with steering wheel controls.

As it sits at the moment.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Decided to put a cummins in it. So I picked up a ppump 5.9 from a low miles 94 dodge

Tore it down, replaced gaskets and got a coat of cummins beige on er

Made an ac/tensioner/1 wire GM alternator mounting bracket

Motor ready to go

Reaction score
Was going to restore this extended cab with the third door to eventually swap on

Then i found this rust free cab, so time to get rid of old greenie

Last edited:

JeezLouiseGMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm glad you posted about this truck, I saw a glimpse of it on the daily truck thread and was wanting to see more.. i have the same color on my truck and I am just in love with it, especially with the stock fender flares.. Keep up the good work! I'm excited to see how it turns out.

Reaction score
I concur.i will always have more than one gmt400.and one of those will always be GM storm grey metallic...you will be happy to know the new white donor body is from good ol ken-tucky (the rust free part)

jayden Richey

Reaction score
I've always wanted to do this with a 02 Ppump 24v i have sitting around, exited to see how this turns out!

Reaction score
So, I acquired a 98 k2500 burban with a blown motor over the weekend. I have been hesitant to rip the grey eclb apart for the swap because it still runs so well. So new plan is to get the cummins in the burban and get it restored to like/better than new condition. Then it will be back to the pickup build... going to keep both builds in this thread though, seeing how I'm kind of forgetful with the computer stuff, and I'm too lazy to make another one...
1998 k2500 suburban. 5.7, 4L80, np246, 4.10ff. Super clean rust free frame.Very little rust on the sheetmetal(couple small surface spots near the top of the windshield). Interior is in good shape, no cracks or stains on the dash.all door panels intact and stain free.no broken plastic/trim. Carpet is gross... truck was a paramedic mover for north shore hospital on Long Island. Seems to have been well taken care of for most of its life.then an oil cooler line burst and tossed a rod out of the side of the block. Guy I got it from bought it in 01 with plans to restore it.never panned out and it sat in his backyard since then, untouched and waiting for me... after a precarious 120 mile return voyage I got it home and powerwashed the moss and grime off her. Found a few dings and some decals that still need to be eraser wheeled off. Hope to yank the motor this week...Work in progress

Reaction score
Went hunting for the rod through the block but I couldn't see very well. Did find a whole bunch of wiring and other unusual doodads under the hood though. 10 additional relays mounted to the firewall, big honkin alternator, various unknown vacuum manifolds and valves, dual batteries, forged lower control arms.
and then there is this peculiar diaphragm thing with a pull chain on the throttle body cable bracket. It has a vacuum line running from it to a little manifold on the firewall.never seen one of these before
...also included are some pics of my high tech push bumper system.2" basement insulation works great, albeit very squeaky

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
What trans did you put behind that Cummins? Any more pics from the swap? Bolt in mounts or did you make your own?

ryeguy2006a

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll bet all those extra relays, big alternator and wiring was for a plow. Can you see if the frame has evidence of plow mounts?