2000 Denali No Dome lights, intermittent door locks, intermittent headlight and key chime

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mkay1911

Reaction score
Hello all, first post. Been doing some searching, but I can't find the answer I need. I recently purchased a 2000 Denali, with 157k miles. I have a few problems in the interior, and I think they are all somehow related... but maybe not.

Issues that I am having:

1. No dome lights whatsoever. Not when you push their individual buttons, not when the doors are open, not with the dial on the dash turned all the way up, not with the override pushed in or out.
2. Door locks are intermittent. Sometimes the lock fine with both the door switches and the keyless fob. Sometimes only a few work, sometimes none.
3. In line with #2, sometimes the horn beeps twice when I lock them with the fob, sometimes only once.
4. The power mirrors do not move at all with the switch.
5. The chime for when you leave your keys in the ignition after turning off the vehicle only works sometimes.
6. The chime for when you leave your headlights on after turning off the vehicle only works sometimes.

Things that may be related but work fine:

1. Bose radio works flawlessly. Sometimes it loses the correct time on the clock but thats it.
2. Power windows work great.
3. Gauges light up perfectly and all gauges read properly.

Things that I have checked:

1. All seemingly related mini-fuses in the dash panel on the drivers side.
2. All of the big fuses in the fuse block in the engine bay.

Any more ideas? I've read something about a Body Control Module (BCM) but not sure what it does or where it is located.

thanks in advance.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got the same basic issues on my '00 Denali. Last I knew, the ONLY 400's that got a BCM were the Escalade and Denali's. And my lack of interior lights, no DRL's, intermittent automatic headlights, and loss of radio/power windows/power locks has been traced to a defective, discontinued, unavailable factory BCM.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
The BCM was also used in some higher-optioned 99 Tahoes. In those they're behind the glove box, in the Denali and Escalade they're under the center console. Have fun lol... And yes nearly all of those items can be traced back to the BCM, or more specifically, the Ctsy power relay inside of it. I picked up a BCM from a junkyard that had a bad relay, replaced the relay and it's perfect. If you're really adventurous you could replace the BCM with a BCM from a 98-01 Camaro or Pontiac Firebird, they come with a few more programming features and the exact same footprint and connectors/pin-outs as the 400s - BUT you have to either test the car's key resistance or trial and error it because those BCMs also run PassKey and no features work unless you have the right key/resistance.

Also if you haven't lost your radio/windows/wipers yet, consider yourself lucky because those are usually the first to go due to crappy soldering on the RAP relay in these BCMs lol.

Mkay1911

Reaction score