2000 Crew Cab Dually “Waylon”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure the alternator has been making some noise, so between that and the coolant smell I thought for sure I’d be changing the water pump in my campsite.

Sounds like your PCV system needs a little attention. Does the Whipple kit address that at all?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure the alternator has been making some noise, so between that and the coolant smell I thought for sure I’d be changing the water pump in my campsite.

Sounds like your PCV system needs a little attention. Does the Whipple kit address that at all?

Yes, it properly reroutes the lines. What it idesn't do is add flow for the additional blowby that boost adds.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So this is my main area of concern. Seems like an awfully large area for air to escape around the radiator.

Also check out all that sweet rust spray from the “coolant”. Not sure why anyone would run just straight water. This was after 2 flushes. After the repair and trip back home, it’s just as rusty again. I’m going to be trying out that Evapo-Rust, that another user posted in his Cummins swapped Suburban thread.

You must be registered for see images attach

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So as I was typing it occurred to me...this isn’t the right radiator for the truck.

I thought that core seemed a little thin, and a quick search on Rockauto confirmed my suspicions. The 454 should have a 2-3/16” thick core and the 350 is only 1-1/4”.

I’m pretty sure this thing has seen some front end damage in its past. A previous owner removed the TP2 Aux Battery, Aux Cooling fan, and the headlight harness is missing the wires for my temp/compass mirror.

I’m willing to bet that’s how the belt rubbed the hose in the first place. If you look in that previous pic you can see the hose to the overflow tank is all gnarled up too.

So it looks like I’m in for a serious cooling system update.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That's a half ton radiator. 3/4 ton radiator would be the right height, and the 1 ton radiator is as thick as you noted.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's a half ton radiator. 3/4 ton radiator would be the right height, and the 1 ton radiator is as thick as you noted.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

You will need the brackets for the taller radiator too.

Dang. I feel like that’s going to be trouble. I might have to make spacers until I can find the right brackets.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I had a lead on a ‘98 3/4 ton at the pick n pull. Ran over there after work, only to find it was a SBC and didn’t have the parts I need.

It did have an under hood reel light. So, I grabbed that and the exhaust hangers off the frame. I need to put a tailpipe back on this thing. 3hrs of drone got pretty old last week.

I was surprised to find the radiator brackets are still available from GM. They are like $15 each, so I’m not going to kill myself looking in junkyards. Do you guys have a preferred brand for a replacement radiator?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Your choices are pretty limited for radiator brands, probably looking at a Spectra or Murray. As far as the brackets go, 3/4 ton brackets would fit just the same as 1 ton stuff as the tanks were all the same.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I just bought a TYC radiator. It seems pretty good... two issues so far. The lower trans cooler line didn't want to seal, which may not be the fault of the radiator. The filler neck seems to be a bit tall. It rubs the underhood liner. I thought maybe it was the tall water neck version of the radiator, but I think that's so tall the hood wouldn't shut. It seems to be well constructed ( I used to build radiators), the box it came in was well padded with big blocks of styrofoam on the corners and the adapter fittings were screwed into the radiator so they wouldn't fly around. They also included o-rings that I didn't need, since I don't have oil lines, currently.