2000 Crew Cab Dually “Waylon”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Didn't realize you were 2wd, that explains the rake. Got a link for the HVAC knobs? I'd love to do it to both trucks.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Didn't realize you were 2wd, that explains the rake. Got a link for the HVAC knobs? I'd love to do it to both trucks.

Yup, it’s a C3500. Not sure if the rake is exasperated by that monster leaf pack or not, but it’s a good 3” front to back.

Here’s the knobs. I laugh at what we’ve become as consumers. This dealer is literally 10min from my house, but I can’t get my ass off the couch. Oh well, keeps USPS going.
https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/gm-s-knob-84141127

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Valve cover leak? That's a lot of oil above the filter.

Yeah both need to be replaced. They leak, and run down the back of the head. Fortunately(?) most burns off on the exhaust manifold.

While I’m in there, I think I need to pull the plenum. When the fuel system is under pressure, there is a strong odor of gas. Any thoughts? I’m thinking FPR maybe. I remember from my L98 days, the diaphragm would fail, and could flood the motor via the vacuum reference line.

I have no issues with hot starts, only a slight off idle stumble, and a hunting idle. I haven’t confirmed with OBDII data, but I think the TPS might be to blame for the stumble.

Oh, and the rear axle has been puking all over my driveway. Don’t expect anymore fun updates for a while. I’ve got some upkeep to do.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Same failure modes exist for the 454. C3500 has more of a rake because the 2wd rides lower up front. For the valve covers, just retorque them. Mine were finger loose and I've encountered that before on other vehicles with the valve cover specifically.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up, I just assumed the gaskets were ****. Hopefully I can give that a try when I get home from work, if it’s not pouring.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
They're rubber and likely still pliable. Could be smooshed, but I'd first try the easy free method of verifying torque. Good luck.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well sure as **** about half the fasteners were loose. I was able to get about 1/2 turn until those presumably 1/4-20 screws felt like they were approaching maximum stretch. I hosed down the affected areas with brake cleaner, and everything looks nice and dry.

We’ve got lousy weather forecast for most of the week. I guess at the latest I’ll get some miles on her this weekend to see if the seals are holding up.