2000 Crew Cab Dually “Waylon”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I love my P3, I need to strap a load down to my trailer so I can really enjoy smooth trailer brakes, the old Voyager would be herky-jerky sometimes due to not having a good power source.
6 MPG. Yeesh. Kinda scared to see what mine would drop to with 9K hooked on.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are on our 3rd day of rain at camp, so I figured I’d update. The truck ran pretty good on the trip up here to NH. I managed a blistering 6mpg pulling the camper. I never saw a Cat scale to weigh, but if I had to guess, we were pushing 9k.

The off idle stumble seems to be getting a tad worse, but fortunately there wasn’t too much off idle throttle application pulling this trailer. My Bluetooth OBD is useless for diagnosing as it only updates about once a second, but I’m thinking it may be the TPS. If the rain ever quits, I may back probe the connector to verify.

The new cooling system worked great. On a couple longer slogs, temp climbed to a bit over 200* and I could hear the fan doing its job. Trans temp never topped 190* so I was happy.

I had finally had enough of the old Drawtite Activator, so a Tekonsha P3 followed me home. No more jerking or bucking, just nice smooth braking. I would recommend it to anyone in need of a brake controller.

The worst part of the trip was the exhaust. My head was ringing once we checked in at the campground. The Walker bus muffler and Diamondeye tail pipe are next on the list. Thinking maybe an X-pipe upstream of where the cats once lived too.

I don't feel so bad about my 7mpg going up into the PA mountains with a 6K load and 9mpg coming back now. :)

Something I've been considering for a new exhaust system, mainly because I'm cheap and I'd like to retain the all stainless steel system, is adapting a 2007+ 2500HD/3500HD 6.0L exhaust system. I was looking at my dad's and I think I'd call it an upgrade above the Walker bus muffler. If you wack it off right after the cats it's a nice dual 2.5" into 3.5" Y-collector going into a GIGANTIC single 3.5" in/out muffler. I'm thinking it might be possible to find one of those systems in the boneyard for a reasonable price. I think it's the 3.5" out that entices me the most. It's also got a nice mellow rumble to it and probably flows pretty decent based on the HP they're able to get out of that LS motor.

I couldn't find a good diagram, but you can get the idea from the pictures below. I'm sure there will be some cutting and welding involved so probably not a straight forward swap. In the end, I'll probably end up going with a bus muffler like you one day, but I will keep my eyes out for this option.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Yeah that exhaust is pretty quiet, but has a nice mellow sound. After my last truck had dual Flowmasters, and 33" mud tires, I knew I would keep my '16 2500 stock, and it's been a much better in cab towing experience. The stock muffler is indeed gigantic, probably a good 20-25 gallons in size. lol

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Are your rigs holding OD? I just did 200 miles round trip camper and trailer and did better than 6. If I hadn't my ass would have been walking home. Now when the wind kicks up that's another story and, if I'm honest, this setup did 5.5mpg without the blower on the interstate. Walker bus muffler, 4" tailpipe, all the rest still stock.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are your rigs holding OD? I just did 200 miles round trip camper and trailer and did better than 6. If I hadn't my ass would have been walking home. Now when the wind kicks up that's another story and, if I'm honest, this setup did 5.5mpg without the blower on the interstate. Walker bus muffler, 4" tailpipe, all the rest still stock.

During this last trip of mine it held OD for anything, I’d say, less than a 3-4% grade. When I hit those 6-8% grades she kicked down to D or 2nd. On one 12% grade after a hairpin switchback it stayed in 1st. I probably could have reached 2nd by the top but didn’t want it screaming at 4000+ rpm for most the hill. Instead I just lugged it on up at about 3300 while I watched my father-law pull away from me with his 10,000lb camper and ‘15 Cummins Ram. [emoji19] I’ll be honest, I was kind of disappointed. I thought it would do better than that up that hill. If I had a running start maybe it would have held 2nd? It definitely has me second guessing moving up to 265 or 285 tires without doing an axle gear change.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Do headers and a tune. I plan to do shorties, 3" head pipes, and keep my bus muffler.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I couldn’t say what grade it would down shift for, but it’s not like I was so far into the pedal that it was hunting.

I’m thinking that ‘411 I picked last year will be in the mail for a reflash soon. I’m sure if I gave this thing the timing it wants it’d prob be much better off. Hell, I’ve even been thinking a camshaft upgrade might be in the future.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Now we're talking. I expect some updates on the quick fast now. Don't leave me hanging.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now we're talking. I expect some updates on the quick fast now. Don't leave me hanging.
Haha. Obviously none of this has gone to the CFO for approval. I’d think I could sneak a PCM tune past easy enough, but she might catch on when I’m elbows deep in a bumpstick.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Haha. Obviously none of this has gone to the CFO for approval. I’d think I could sneak a PCM tune past easy enough, but she might catch on when I’m elbows deep in a bumpstick.

Isn't there an alternate procurement process in place?