2000 Crew Cab Dually “Waylon”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mid 97 for all axles.

I tried looking on RockAuto to see what the difference is, but I think they’re listing the same part from ‘95 all the way up to ‘00. I’m just curious if it was only the seal that changed, or was it more? If mine start leaking again maybe this updated seal could be a solution?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I tried looking on RockAuto to see what the difference is, but I think they’re listing the same part from ‘95 all the way up to ‘00. I’m just curious if it was only the seal that changed, or was it more? If mine start leaking again maybe this updated seal could be a solution?

No. In the front diff of my 1500, it's Frankensteined. The pig is from a TBI truck and the actuator housing is from my 98. The updated seal is too wide for the pig and the axle stub shield rubs. On the rear of my dually they punched the hole a different size or maybe it was the yoke that was a different diameter I forget.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I spent the evening replacing the radiator, which quickly spun into more work. Upon draining the now less than 3 month old coolant, it was rusty brown **** again. I siphoned it off into jugs, and noticed that as I filled the jugs, the coolant looked cleaner. The first jug had about 1/4” of sludge floating, so I’m guessing one of the coolers was leaking into the coolant.

Once I got the radiator out, there was a lot of gunk that needed cleaning. The A/C condenser was kinda gross, so I grabbed a bottle of coil cleaner and went to work.

The fan clutch was smoked, so that got replaced with a Hayden 2786 severe duty. You could rotate the fan about twice by hand, and then it would basically free wheel. A few fan blades had some evidence of impact, and the fan itself wobbled about 1/4” fore and aft. More proof of a front collision at some point in the trucks past.

So yet again, I’ve got a mixture of Cascade dishwasher detergent to flush this oil mess out. Gonna run around this weekend and try to get a hundred miles or so. Flush with clean water for what seems like the 10th time. Then I’ve got a new thermostat and housing to go on. Also have several gallons of Rotella T4 10W-30, and Valvoline DexIII. Only fluids left will be brakes and rear axle.

Last edited:

Thatlowchevy

How’d I get inside this tube?!?!
Reaction score
Yessir, took me around 20 times to flush my ‘72 completely. Seemed like every time I looked the coolant was **** brown again. Finally a nice green color
You must be registered for see images attach

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can’t believe the truck didn’t over heat. That fan clutch was worthless. I buttoned everything up and fired the truck and was greeted with a roar that never existed before. Only piece left untouched is the water pump. My gut tells me all this flushing will have that sucker weeping in no time, but the budget is running thin. I’ll address it in the future. It’s not the worst thing to drain the coolant and pull the pump.

Here’s the first sign of trouble. That petcock was clean back in March or April when I did the heater core.

Oil cooler plate looked horrible.

This is the inlet to the radiator. You can see the oily residue in the end tank. I don’t think the trans cooler side looked the same. I’ll have to double check.

Sure looks like oil floating in there to me.

You can see about 1/4” of ****** floating on top of the coolant.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oddly, the engine oil looks fine. Trans fluid is suspect, but I’m thinking it’s just old af. Either way it’s all going.

Not sure how it can leak oil but not coolant. As soon as you shutdown and loose oil pressure, the pressurized coolant will then leak into the oil. Doesn’t seem to be the case. I guess I should consider myself lucky.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yum. I had to purge the crap out of the junkyard radiator I yanked for my flipper. I just shoved a hose in it and let it run for like 10 minutes. What came out was appalling. Same deal when I put it in the truck, I must have purged 3-4x and I'm not even sure it was clean then. Forgot about it being all water and it pushed out 2 freeze plugs. I have yet to assess the rest of the damage.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Purged the transmission on Sat, and hauled a small camper for my father-in-law yesterday. Truck ran great, A/C blasting the whole way in almost 90* temps. No issues with running hot like last year.

We make the nearly 4hr round trip without issue, then back in town it starts with a light throttle low rpm stumble. Like taking off from a light, almost seems like it’s running on 7 cylinders, or drastically lean. I suppose I could throw a fuel filter at it, and maybe pull the plugs and have a look. Not what I want to deal with days before a 200mi trip. I sure hope this isn’t my fuel pressure regulator coming home to roost.

Since nothing happens without pictures, here’s the **** that was in the transmission and new Valvoline Maxlife.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We are on our 3rd day of rain at camp, so I figured I’d update. The truck ran pretty good on the trip up here to NH. I managed a blistering 6mpg pulling the camper. I never saw a Cat scale to weigh, but if I had to guess, we were pushing 9k.

The off idle stumble seems to be getting a tad worse, but fortunately there wasn’t too much off idle throttle application pulling this trailer. My Bluetooth OBD is useless for diagnosing as it only updates about once a second, but I’m thinking it may be the TPS. If the rain ever quits, I may back probe the connector to verify.

The new cooling system worked great. On a couple longer slogs, temp climbed to a bit over 200* and I could hear the fan doing its job. Trans temp never topped 190* so I was happy.

I had finally had enough of the old Drawtite Activator, so a Tekonsha P3 followed me home. No more jerking or bucking, just nice smooth braking. I would recommend it to anyone in need of a brake controller.

The worst part of the trip was the exhaust. My head was ringing once we checked in at the campground. The Walker bus muffler and Diamondeye tail pipe are next on the list. Thinking maybe an X-pipe upstream of where the cats once lived too.