2000 Crew Cab Dually “Waylon”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Did a little maintenance on the truck last night. Flushed the hydroboost/power steering. Oh my, if you guys haven’t done it, you need to. I had a mush brake pedal before but it’s rock hard now. The pump operation is slightly quieter, and steering feels about the same.

One thing I noticed when removing the return line off the hydroboost is the fitting was loose, and ever so slightly weeping fluid. I have to assume it was sucking air too, so got that fixed.

I’m guessing it was probably never flushed, because what came out was really nasty. Used a gallon of Napa fluid, and it’s still coming out a little dirty. I’ll flush again in a few hundred miles.

Same goes for brakes, trans, t case, diffs, and coolant. Most people never properly purge these fluids. PS is the only one I haven't done on my dually.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Same goes for brakes, trans, t case, diffs, and coolant. Most people never properly purge these fluids. PS is the only one I haven't done on my dually.

I did the PS once many years ago. It was a pain because the pump kept running dry..... the pump moves fluid fast!

I've never really done the transmission..... tried once though but dropped the wrong hose into the wrong container and found out that the transmission pushes fluid, but doesn't suck it up. I think I pushed a bunch of dirty fluid into the remnants of a jug of clean. I've drained the pan a couple of times, Though.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The power steering might have taken 30min to do. Hooked up the camper this morning, and the pedal is kinda mushy again. Oh and yet another coolant leak. Goddamn these old trucks. Oh well I’m in the woods with a cold beer. Life is good now.

About to do some real truck ****. B&W Turnover Ball.
You must be registered for see images attach

Damn heater hose split at the crimp. Seems like a good time to do away with the quick connect, but I just replaced that. Have to price out getting a new hose made up vs buying fittings to replace the quick connect.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The power steering might have taken 30min to do. Hooked up the camper this morning, and the pedal is kinda mushy again. Oh and yet another coolant leak. Goddamn these old trucks. Oh well I’m in the woods with a cold beer. Life is good now.

About to do some real truck ****. B&W Turnover Ball.

Damn heater hose split at the crimp. Seems like a good time to do away with the quick connect, but I just replaced that. Have to price out getting a new hose made up vs buying fittings to replace the quick connect.

Goddamn these old trucks but we still drive them and we still love them.
I'm interested in seeing how well the B&W goes together, I'm torn between a turnover or just putting rails back in the truck because the holes are already drilled.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It just sucks undoing 20 years of neglect. I know once it’s all sorted out she’ll be dead reliable again.

I’m super excited to get it installed. Wish I brought it camping. I’ve got plenty of time to do nothing.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok kids, took a crack at the B&W this morning. I got nowhere fast.

“STEP THREE
Install the side plates by aligning two of the lower holes in the side plate with existing holes in the truck frame rails and fasten into place using two 1⁄2”x 1 1⁄2” bolts with a flat washer on each side and a lock washer and nut on each. Hand tighten bolts. When installing the driver’s side side plate, you may have to pull the brake line down to accommodate the bolts.”

Easy enough right? Nope. My frame looks nothing at all like the side plates.

I remembered a post from a few years ago about air bags with the Turnover Ball. I guess this is what it should look like installed. Stolen from @Tongan310

Again, nothing like my frame. WTF?!? Anyone have any experience here? @GarrettGmc @Supercharged111 @BoxerPitMix.

Last edited:

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Never mind, crisis averted.

I went back inside and thought it over a cup of coffee. Looks like if I just back off the bolts for the brake line, everything with fit nice.

Sorry to put y’all on blast for nothing.

That’s it for today. It’s friggin tropical today. Last week, highs in the 60’s. It’s supposed to be 85 and humid today. Tomorrow is gonna be in the 70’s and dry. Hope to get something done then.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I remember the B&W I yanked from the junkyard had the pre-existing holes that yours appears to have as well. 1 or both were elongated.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I got a little freaked out. Those 4 holes, that were allegedly for a wheel lift, threw me off.

For anyone who might be interested in the future, it’s the slotted holes in the frame your concerned with. All the holes in the B&W side plates are for the existing hardware bolted to the frame. The instructions could be a little more clear on that.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gooseneck update:

Got the side plates and crossmember loosely installed last night. It ended up being way more work than I was expecting. I wouldn’t be trying this again without a lift. Working on a creeper blows.

Today’s project is to remove the plastic drop-in liner, and cut the 4” hole. Then I can finish up the install, and torque everything down.