2000, 454 vortec bb engine seems to be missing after distributor R&R

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ttoyota

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds good. I oredered a aem wb waugo. Now off to chase gremlins on rov. Thx guys

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've watched some ol timer head porting pro on you tube do a comparison between brodix Chinese and factory heads. The Chinese one seemed to be the best in his opinion. He did say by them completely bare and fill them with quAlity American parts however. I honestly dont know which ones would even work or if they even have a version for our truck. Skip white has his own you tube videos and the whole process seems pretty legit. Alright wideband. Do i need to get one for each bank or how does that work? Was looking at aem awhile back what is your brand of choice? Want to get the hp tuners pro. I'll have to see if i can upgrade before buying the other one.

Interesting, I'd have to look into them a bit more, I'm guessing they could be made to work.

I have a plx wideband. AEM is a good brand, just make sure it has a signal output for HPT. I also would one run wideband, two is just overkill imo. Your factory o2 sensors will tell you if there is a per bank difference indicating an issue.

Ttoyota

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
? Your tie rod ears on the knuckles are worn out?

I tried looking around for the HP tuners setup like I have (it the "old" hardware version with a long OBD cable and the like) and it looks like its not possible to buy anymore. They have a new dongle that's used, which uses bluetooth to connect. They haven't released their "pro" version yet which allows you to plug up auxillary I/Os to the dongle to allow you to log readings from external sensors and operate relays to turn on nitrous or shift lights and crap.

The basic package that they have right now should work. Or I'd wait it out until they release the pro version. I can't confirm, but I'll bet EFI live can do the same thing for you. Or, if you're wanting to tune the truck via wideband, you can have a shop with a scanner do the relearn for you and buy the HP tuner pro version later.

Nope, haven't done it. I figured I'd just upgrade to powerstop rotors/pads when I had to do my brakes next. I don't mind how my brakes are. If I could get a hold of a newer rear disk 14blt full float though I'd swap the rear axle out for that instead for 4w disk brakes.
No you have to use gmt800 2500hd spindles and there tie rod is bigger than ours.

Ttoyota

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting, I'd have to look into them a bit more, I'm guessing they could be made to work.

I have a plx wideband. AEM is a good brand, just make sure it has a signal output for HPT. I also would one run wideband, two is just overkill imo. Your factory o2 sensors will tell you if there is a per bank difference indicating an issue.
All AEM digital gauges feature a 0-5V analog output for use with data loggers and almost any engine management system. Will this work. Do i need rs232 serial output for hp tuners

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All AEM digital gauges feature a 0-5V analog output for use with data loggers and almost any engine management system. Will this work. Do i need rs232 serial output for hp tuners
Nope, it takes analog output and uses a trasfer function to go from voltage to the correct afr, hpt has a bunch saved in the program, but if yours isn't listed they can be manually entered.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've never messed with HPTuners personally but I'd assume the AEM UEGO is directly supported. Matt Happel of Sloppy Mechanics always recommends the UEGO and he uses HPTuners on pretty much all of his projects. They use a Bosch sensor.

Ttoyota

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what i read on Amazon it sounds like ill be good to go. Many people asked if it would work with hp tuning software and other programs and it sounds like it will. If not, it'll be used elsewhere and ill get the right one.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
HP Tuners VCM Suite MPVI Pro Packages 6021
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Image 1 of 2

Not Available

Is that what i need? Is that the pro package

That's the gen 1 pro package (what mangone and I have), your only option to get it asap would be to buy used or get the new standard version and upgrade when available.