20 minute warmup on my 4L 80E

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wozny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Below about 30 degrees my 4L80E takes 20 minutes to warm up enough for it to move. Once it’s warmed up it works great. My Dodge automatic only takes 3 minutes. Could loose bands be the cause? I only have a few thousand on this truck so am getting a servicing done in a few weeks. Thanks

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably not bands. The 2 bands on the 4L80e are the engine braking band and the reverse band. In other words, there are no bands used to move forward.

I've got a truck with the 4L80e that has a delayed engagement & stalls the engine when cold. I believe on mine it has to do restricted oil flow into the converter. After it warms up, it's fine. I don't daily drive that truck, so I haven't messed with it.

Probably have something else going on. You just bought the truck?

Last edited:

Wozny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably not bands. The 2 bands on the 4L80e are the engine braking band and the reverse band. In other words, there are no bands used to move forward.

I've got a truck with the 4L80e that has a delayed engagement & stalls the engine when cold. I believe on mine it has to do restricted oil flow into the converter. After it warms up, it's fine. I don't daily drive that truck, so I haven't messed with it.

Probably have something else going on. You just bought the truck?
Thanks. I bought it 3 years ago but haven’t driven it much. It doesn’t stall the motor, just won’t move, when it’s cold. It’s fine in summer. I’ll ask the tranny shop about it when they service it, they’ll be taking the pan off.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Below about 30 degrees my 4L80E takes 20 minutes to warm up enough for it to move. Once it’s warmed up it works great.
I had a Trailblazer that wouldn't engage Reverse when cold. Fixed it with a new filter and a fluid flush. Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't done the work myself and seen the results.

My Dodge automatic only takes 3 minutes.
Should engage almost immediately. 3 minutes is two minutes and forty-five seconds too long.

Could loose bands be the cause?
No. They would not be temperature-sensitive.

I only have a few thousand on this truck so am getting a servicing done in a few weeks. Thanks
Define "servicing".

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It shouldn't take any time at all to be able to move; 30F really isn't that cold. A plugged filter could cause delayed pressure rise, but if your filter is that plugged, you've probably got some other damage and wear as well.

Wozny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a Trailblazer that wouldn't engage Reverse when cold. Fixed it with a new filter and a fluid flush. Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't done the work myself and seen the results.

Should engage almost immediately. 3 minutes is two minutes and forty-five seconds too long.

No. They would not be temperature-sensitive.

Define "servicing".
Hes going to change the oil and filter and tighten the bands if loose and look for anything that might be keeping it from warming up. Also check for leaks as I wasn’t checking the fluid level right, while running, and overfilling it, which I think was causing it to throw oil out on the road.

Wozny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It shouldn't take any time at all to be able to move; 30F really isn't that cold. A plugged filter could cause delayed pressure rise, but if your filter is that plugged, you've probably got some other damage and wear as well.
I’ve only put a few miles on it because I couldn’t find the cause of high oil consumption. Now that I fixed the engine oil leak it’s driveable. The oil cooler lines were leaking at the engine oil filter real bad but only going down the highway.

Wozny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve only put a few miles on it because I couldn’t find the cause of high oil consumption. Now that I fixed the engine oil leak it’s driveable. The oil cooler lines were leaking at the engine oil filter real bad but only going down the highway.
I wouldn’t doubt the trans. filter is badly plugged, previous owner wasn’t maintaining it at all

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
...and tighten the bands if loose and look for anything that might be keeping it from warming up. Also check for leaks as I wasn’t checking the fluid level right, while running, and overfilling it, which I think was causing it to throw oil out on the road.
There are no "adjustments" for the bands as @Schurkey has pointed out. Now, they do make different length pins for the engine braking band (earlier, narrower band uses a shorter servo pin and later, wider band uses a longer servo pin), per ATSG p.113. But again, that shouldn't have to do with the symptoms you are experiencing.

I've also seen some guys weld filler material to the reverse servo pin to lengthen it for the "no-reverse" condition.