2 Door Tahoe tailgate repair/replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan cin

Reaction score
First post on the forum, sorry if it’s in the wrong spot. My 97 2 door has a rusted off hinge on one side, and the other side isn’t far off. It looks like these hinges were welded on at the factory. Is there anything I can do to repair/replace these hinges? I was think trying pickup hinges, but I’m not sure that’d work.
You must be registered for see images attach

Amillett95

Reaction score
Hey, I have the exact same issue. Hoping to revive this thread a bit. That metal is very thin. My thought was to get into welding and get behind that hinge and weld in steel plate behind and then weld the hinge to it.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First post on the forum, sorry if it’s in the wrong spot. My 97 2 door has a rusted off hinge on one side, and the other side isn’t far off. It looks like these hinges were welded on at the factory. Is there anything I can do to repair/replace these hinges? I was think trying pickup hinges, but I’m not sure that’d work.
You must be registered for see images attach

I head to your local junk yard and cut out a hinge. Weld it into place after addressing the rust. May have to cut a section out. Also truck tailgates have different hinges and different set up