2” primary tube headers on k3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a stock application 1 3/4 is fine but with the head compression cam and cubic inch it needs a 2” primary tube.

It’s a dyno proven fact.

However put what ever you want in whatever you like.

My question was... Does any know of or have a set of 2” primary tube headers in a 1990’s k3500.

Sorry to burst your bubble but 230 hp and 385lbs of torque doesn’t move a 30’ box in a 9,000 lb lifted 4wd truck very well.

It slows down to 45-50 mph up a moderately incline.

I do appreciate your input it’s just not the question I originally asked.
NVM

BigDaddy72

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The picture of the one with the header in it is a 94 k3500. The header is a set of 13/4” from a 87c30.

The other pics is another truck of mine a with a 496 with a 2” primary tube.

I also have a set of 1st gen bbc headers with 2” primary and and set of chevelle headers.

No dice on any so far.

You must be registered for see images attach

BigDaddy72

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol. You ain't bursting anything over here, I been doing what I do for years. I'll say it again, bigger primaries help with higher rpm hp.
Not lower rpm tq.
Which is what you need to tow.

Like pretty much everyone else said, the answer to your original question is no.
Some of us tried to help by explaining what we've learned throughout our years.
But hey, it's your money, stack it up and set it on fire if you like.
Good luck.

I will thanks for your permission.

The engine I built is not running a set of stock peanut port heads like you are referring to.

You are welcome to dyno any one of my current 3 big cubic inch big blocks with both size headers tubes and prove me wrong. I’ve been doing it a while myself. There are two 496’s and a dart 572 pick one. I’ll bet you’ll be surprised.

Why are there always guys like you on every form...

Thanks sincerely to everyone else I truly do appreciate your time effort and input.

Best wishes to you all.

BigDaddy72

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That kinda proves what I said above plus that’s a solid roller 427.

That looks to me like a 2” header out performs an 1 3/4 across the entire rpm range.

Last edited:

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I will thanks for your permission.

The engine I built is not running a set of stock peanut port heads like you are referring to.

You are welcome to dyno any one of my current 3 big cubic inch big blocks with both size headers tubes and prove me wrong. I’ve been doing it a while myself. There are two 496’s and a dart 572 pick one. I’ll bet you’ll be surprised.

Why are there always guys like you on every form...

Thanks sincerely to everyone else I truly do appreciate your time effort and input.

Best wishes to you all.
This is why I deleted the post. Lol.

BigDaddy72

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
No harm no foul.. apologies on my end if I worded my reply wrong. I’m frustrated and wore out at work, so I guess I’m being a little sensitive.

A sincere thanks to you for making an effort. I appreciate your knowledge and time.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have to disagree with you on this one.

I understand your idea but in an application like mine with the afr head a 2” primary is going to out perform a 1 3/4 tube all across the entire curve.

My question really isn’t weather I need a 1.75 header or a 2.0 it’s more along the line of is there anything off of something else that bolts up in the k3500 application in the 2” diameter tube

I do understand what you are saying and I appreciate your help truly I do.

I built this engine trying to wring out every last ounce of tq and hp I could get with the combo. The engine even has a crank scraper and windage tray along with a set of total seal piston rings.

For me every last once of power I can get out of it is important, short of custom building a set of headers.

If it comes to that I will strongly consider it.
Unless u pushing over 600hp long tubes and single 3" with straight thru type muffler best HP out if exhaust setups, engine masters proved it on the Dyno . Frieburger and dulcich do an awesome job proving and disproving all the things alot of guys swear by when building an engine. Couldn't tell u the episode but look it up and watch, I was surprised at the outcome also.

As far as 2" primary vs smaller idk just realized my mistake and hope didn't waste anyone's time arguing the wrong fact lol.

Last edited: