2” primary tube headers on k3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigDaddy72

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

The new motor is a 496
4340 crank
H beam rods
Howards 10.2-1 forged pistons
Custom balanced R/A
Completely studded block
Custom cut hyd roller cam
225 225 585 585 on a 114
Afr 265 oval port heads
Scorpion roller rockers
Rpm air gap
Brawler 850 carb
Msd billet dist
6al2 digital box

Hp and tq numbers are a guess.

500 ish hp
550 ish tq

Nv4500

1994 k3500 crew cab
Lifted
33” super swampers
4.88 gear

Towing 4 to 5 times a year

BigDaddy72

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a square but not this one.

Thanks sincerely for the response.

I m banging my head against the wall, this engine really needs 2” headers

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I got a square but not this one.

Thanks sincerely for the response.

I m banging my head against the wall, this engine really needs 2” headers
For what you are doing 1 3/4" headers are what I recommend. Those 1 3/4" headers are fine up to 600 hp.

The smaller primaries help more on the bottom end than the 2" will help on the top. I would also recommend a single 4" exhaust for best performance.

Here are the headers that will fit the truck.

hhttps://www.summitracing.com/search/year/1994/make/chevrolet/model/k3500/department/exhaust/part-type/headers/engine-family/chevy-big-block-gen-v/drivetrain/4wd?N=department%3Aexhaust%2Bpart-type%3Aheaders%2Bdrivetrain%3A4wd&PageSize=100&SortBy=DisplayPrice&SortOrder=Ascending

BigDaddy72

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For what you are doing 1 3/4" headers are what I recommend. Those 1 3/4" headers are fine up to 600 hp.

The smaller primaries help more on the bottom end than the 2" will help on the top. I would also recommend a single 4" exhaust for best performance.

Here are the headers that will fit the truck.

hhttps://www.summitracing.com/search/year/1994/make/chevrolet/model/k3500/department/exhaust/part-type/headers/engine-family/chevy-big-block-gen-v/drivetrain/4wd?N=department%3Aexhaust%2Bpart-type%3Aheaders%2Bdrivetrain%3A4wd&PageSize=100&SortBy=DisplayPrice&SortOrder=Ascending

I have to disagree with you on this one.

I understand your idea but in an application like mine with the afr head a 2” primary is going to out perform a 1 3/4 tube all across the entire curve.

My question really isn’t weather I need a 1.75 header or a 2.0 it’s more along the line of is there anything off of something else that bolts up in the k3500 application in the 2” diameter tube

I do understand what you are saying and I appreciate your help truly I do.

I built this engine trying to wring out every last ounce of tq and hp I could get with the combo. The engine even has a crank scraper and windage tray along with a set of total seal piston rings.

For me every last once of power I can get out of it is important, short of custom building a set of headers.

If it comes to that I will strongly consider it.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, bigger primaries help a motor breathe better at higher rpm. Horsepower.
You need grunt down low to pull. Torque.
I'm also not sure what's going on if a 454 struggled to pull an empty 28 foot trailer, that's not a healthy motor.

Last edited:

BigDaddy72

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
In a stock application 1 3/4 is fine but with the head compression cam and cubic inch it needs a 2” primary tube.

It’s a dyno proven fact.

However put what ever you want in whatever you like.

My question was... Does any know of or have a set of 2” primary tube headers in a 1990’s k3500.

Sorry to burst your bubble but 230 hp and 385lbs of torque doesn’t move a 30’ box in a 9,000 lb lifted 4wd truck very well.

It slows down to 45-50 mph up a moderately incline.

I do appreciate your input it’s just not the question I originally asked.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I dont know what to tell you besides get a set for a SqB or 2wd and do some self-clearancing. With that setup I would be looking for the largest primary also!

You have probably already seen the engine masters episode where they beat headers into spaghetti and didnt lose that much power.

BigDaddy72

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you Mr Pink. However I have a square with a 2” primary header the frames are considerably different.

I’m 99% sure those won’t fit, but I sure do appreciate the input.