1st and 2nd design seals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have some leaky outer seals on my front differential (where the CV's mount) on my 97 k1500.

Checking RA for some seals, I see National has:

710281 - 1st design seal

Front Outer; AAM; Independent front suspension; 8.25" Ring Gear; 2.91" O.D.; .4" Width

710536 - 2nd design seal
Front Outer; AAM; Independent front suspension; 8.25" Ring Gear; 2.915" O.D.; .453" Width

I did some Googling but couldn't come up with a direct answer, so I figured I would see if anyone has tackled this job and has any valuable input.

I figured I could just order both, but I would rather eliminate the hassle if I can.

Is there a way, other than removing the old and comparing, to determine what "design" you have?

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
actually, now that I think about this, I did this job on an 05 Sierra many years ago, and those seals look like they would go on the pinion side of the diff. I think the seals that I will see when I pull out the axle shafts look like this:

DORMAN 600606

Still make me wonder the difference between the 1st and 2nd design though...

You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had a similar ordeal with the pinion seal of the 10 bolt rear end in my '97 Suburban. They were cheap enough that I just ordered one of each and returned the one I didn't use. I'm sure this probably won't be any help at all considering we're dealing with completely different parts, but mine ended up being the first design. Here's the thread.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/97-k1500-suburban-10-bolt-pinion-seal.39403/

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
2nd design is what you posted above, 1st design is not as thick and is a regular lip design. Can't use 2nd design on an early diff because it will stick out, cause interference, and leak. Ask me how I know. 97 was the crossover year too FYI.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Is there any correlation to the first design being the front diffs with the plugs and the 2nd design being the 1 plug? My dads 1997 had to have the front diff replaced and it said, where it was 2 plugs, that it was first design. My diff only has 1 plug and I believe it to be the 2nd design. They also said 1997 was the cut over year for that as well and it could be either one.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds logical and is consistent with how my 97 and 98 came stock. My 1500 diff is bastardized now though. I bolted a late actuator housing to an early pig so each side takes a different seal. Cheap 4.10 gears FTW though.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is there any correlation to the first design being the front diffs with the plugs and the 2nd design being the 1 plug? My dads 1997 had to have the front diff replaced and it said, where it was 2 plugs, that it was first design. My diff only has 1 plug and I believe it to be the 2nd design. They also said 1997 was the cut over year for that as well and it could be either one.

When you say 1 and 2 plugs... what plugs are we counting? I was only familiar with a drain plug and a fill plug?

How does a front diff with 1 plug get drained? Maybe I am just getting confused, lol.

Unfortunately, I am at work and cannot go crawl under the truck to see what plugs I have.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Yes, I was talking about 4wd actuator plugs. It would be cool if there was a correlation between those and what bearings and seals to use for future reference. I will be changing a 2 plug ones bearings tomorrow so I'll post back up what it had.