1999 Yukon 4x4 Selectable Rear Locker Recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon squared

Reaction score
I would like to install a Selectable Rear Locker for special occasion, does anyone recommendations or brands to look into from experience?

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Selectable? ARB. You'll need an air compressor, an air tank, a pressure gauge, and a bunch of plumbing.
Or Auburn ECTED. An electrically activated locker...
Both systems are gonna be about a grand.

If it were mine, I'd throw in an automatic clutch type limited slip with a side to side bias of 3-to-1 or so. Like an Auburn or Yukon.
Then theres the gear type, the Detriot true-trac.
These are around $400.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like the ARB locker is around $1250 and the compressor is another $300? Plus tax.

What about the OX locker into the selectable locker option mix? Probably no cheaper than the ARB though. I thought the OX locker was kinda goofy and too old school, but it seems dead nuts reliable based on what found on some off road forums. No electronics or compressor to worry about. I'd say about as reliable as manual windows! :D

cj8scrambld

Reaction score
Older post but what did you end up using, if any? In my 94 K Blazer, I swapped in a 14SF and used a Detroit E-locker. No issues to date, been about 10-12 years now.

HopHead357

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Older post but what did you end up using, if any? In my 94 K Blazer, I swapped in a 14SF and used a Detroit E-locker. No issues to date, been about 10-12 years now.

Curious as well.

Also curious about your Detroit e-locker. I've been toying with the idea of a selectable locker in my 14SF to replace the G80 if it makes sense..

Jwelar

Reaction score
ARB air locker all the way. If I’m going to spend the money on this I’ll go with a tried and true setup. I had one on my 06’ LJ Rubicon and it just would not be stopped. The peace of mind that an air locker provides is amazing. Do the dual compressor and plumb in a smaller storage tank. Having on board air on the trail is such a great advantage for just about anything. Trail repairs, air ups, dusting off axles when you have to weld an axle housing back together using a harbor freight wrench as a splint (yep).

Electronic lockers, from what I know, have a slight lag time when going from forward to reverse. This is ok for repositioning on the rocks to get a better line, but if you’re breaking trail in the snow or trying to get out of mud ruts that back and forth momentum you need isn’t going to be there. That momentary lag can also over stress your ring and pinion if you’re not fully cognizant that it’s going to take a moment to reengage.