1999 Tahoe rebirth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, school shopping wrecked my budget, lol. Having 2 daughters with one starting high school killed me. So I just now finally ordered my distributor today, I'll post a pic of the actual product and let ya know how it seems quality wise. Couldn't pass it up for the price with melonized gear and aluminum body.
You must be registered for see images attach

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, the distributor arrived yesterday. Was packaged well and seems to be made well. Full metal body and steel gear as advertised. Only thing I noticed is there isn't any marks on the shaft or gear to show it's aligned properly. No biggie to me as there are other ways to tell easily. Looks like time to get back on disassembly so I know if I need a chain only or a whole timing set.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn time gets away from me. I have made some progress, got tye crank pulley off and painted aluminum. Then pulled the balancer to discover it has a groove in it that looks like the seal in the timing cover caused somehow. So now I'm ordering a new Delco replacement balancer. Also have decided since I'm this deep why not just go ahead and pull the heads and do new gaskets while I'm in there. Then every top end gasket will be new. And I can get a good look at the cylinder walls condition and have the heads checked out for any cracks. While they are out I'm gonna go ahead and do the LS6 spring swap and I'm gonna try to sneak in the 395 cam if I can. So the project continues to grow but honestly I'll have more time in hours than cash spent. Thank god parts for these old motors are fairly cheap.

Progress has been slow due to weather and life. My dad's cancer came back stage 4 so I have been pretty busy with him lately along with my normal load. I'll continue to update as I make progress.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well here is the balancer pulley and valve covers finished. Next up is pulling the old dizzy, lower intake and heads. Think I'm gonna soak the lower intake for a day or so in degreaser then start scrubbing it with tooth brushes.

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your dad. Best wishes to him. Cancer... ugh...

As a fellow F-body guy and '99 Tahoe owner, I'm enjoying the build this far. You mentioned putting 20" wheels on at some point - just curious which you were considering? I personally think the the Texas 20s from the GMT900s would look awesome, but am always curious what others are doing.

Good luck with the build!

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your dad. Best wishes to him. Cancer... ugh...

As a fellow F-body guy and '99 Tahoe owner, I'm enjoying the build this far. You mentioned putting 20" wheels on at some point - just curious which you were considering? I personally think the the Texas 20s from the GMT900s would look awesome, but am always curious what others are doing.

Good luck with the build!

Thankx. I'm leaning towards the AR926 Patrol in black. Who knows by the time I get cash for wheels. I have been looking for a clean set of newer GM take offs with good tires to get me by for a while.

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Being from LS1 Tech, I sometimes browse the wheel selection on OE Wheels.

There's a couple sets on there I really like, but I fall in love with those Texas style 20s every time I see them on a GMT900 in a parking lot.

Darin1047

Reaction score
Thankx. I'm leaning towards the AR926 Patrol in black. Who knows by the time I get cash for wheels. I have been looking for a clean set of newer GM take offs with good tires to get me by for a while.
There are nice wheels.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Being from LS1 Tech, I sometimes browse the wheel selection on OE Wheels.

There's a couple sets on there I really like, but I fall in love with those Texas style 20s every time I see them on a GMT900 in a parking lot.

How long you been a LS1tech member? I have been on that Forum over 10yrs now. My name over there is BIG_MIKE2005

I got the lower intake all cleaned up. God was it filthy. EGR is definetly coming out and I'm now plotting on a catch can as well. I used some cheap dollar tree oven cleaner and a scrub brush, it worked really well. Then after it dried I took a dremel and some 1/4" stainless brush heads and went all around the outsides, gasket surfaces and injector bungs. Just gotta mask it off and get some decent weather to paint it. Once the paint cures I have decided to install the new MPFI spider, top shell and TB while it's out and install it as a assembly when it goes back on.

Next is pulling heads and disassembly for crack inspection. If they check out, new LS6 springs and Comp retainers will be going on for reassembly.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, got the lower intake painted, started unmasking then decided to snap pics, lol. Turned out pretty good.