1999 tahoe 4×4 brake trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine has the JB5 brakes, but nothing looks obviously wrong to me. I’d wonder about the rust spots under the shoes (instead of shiny metal) meaning “are they even working?” but would have to defer to others on that.

Your shoes look fine, there is still some thickness before it gets to the rivet heads. There doesn’t look to be any fluid contamination from a leaking axle seal or wheel cylinder.

How does the driver side look?

Oh, and go get a floor jack and stands. Don’t crawl under there using that factory jack. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well i was short on time so i only pulled the passenger side but all looked well. But it has not been working right for around 4 years.
This rig is not mine but i am borrowing it while i put a tranny in my 2002 so i thought i would diagnose it and see what i can do. I found backing plates but i am not convinced that they are a problem. Maby just need a wire brush. I am also 99% shure that the abs is not working because of sensors and who knows what else, and was not bled properly last time the drums were worked on.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh and about the rust. I know they work because they are locking up on me at low speeds.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So i finaly got some more time.
I bled all four brakes untill i got fresh fluid through and checked the drivers side.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Drivers side front pad
You must be registered for see images attach

Top contact patch

Bottom contact patch

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And in bleading the brakes i noticed something.

In the right half of the reservoir (vacuum booster side) when my wife pressed the pedal it sprayed like a fountain. Is that normal?

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also when i bled the brakes i never got all the air out of the driver side drum. It acted like it was sucking air.

Ideas anyone?

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also i tested which brakes are locking up on me and it seems to only be the drivers side rear.