1999 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nordin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wanted to delete the last muffler, bought the parts needed (atelast what I thought)

crawled under the truck and noticed it had dual pipes back to the last muffler, any ideas how to connect them and use a 3” instead?

Well, i wiped down the interior instead along with an american beer

happy easter folks!
You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
There's only one muffler, and it does have 2 inlets. The other muffler like things in the exhaust system ( the pods closer to the engine) are the catalytic converters. Our trucks have one for each cylinder bank(side of the engine). They do look kind of like the muffler on a little car, that you may be more familiar with though.
Some people here run a pair of mufflers and 2 tailpipes; on a pickup it's not uncommon to run a short tailpipe from the muffler out to the bedside in front of the rear wheel. On a Burb you shouldn't do that, since the passenger compartment is bigger than a pickup cab. In Texas it's illegal to do.
I've thought about running 2 turbo mufflers on my Burb, but I would have to do 2 tailpipes then. Not a lot of room for that....so I guess the factory style huge muffler stays for the time being. It is pretty quiet, just a little bit of rumble.

Nordin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's only one muffler, and it does have 2 inlets. The other muffler like things in the exhaust system ( the pods closer to the engine) are the catalytic converters. Our trucks have one for each cylinder bank(side of the engine). They do look kind of like the muffler on a little car, that you may be more familiar with though.
Some people here run a pair of mufflers and 2 tailpipes; on a pickup it's not uncommon to run a short tailpipe from the muffler out to the bedside in front of the rear wheel. On a Burb you shouldn't do that, since the passenger compartment is bigger than a pickup cab. In Texas it's illegal to do.
I've thought about running 2 turbo mufflers on my Burb, but I would have to do 2 tailpipes then. Not a lot of room for that....so I guess the factory style huge muffler stays for the time being. It is pretty quiet, just a little bit of rumble.

Hi there and thanks for your reply!

Thats correct, two cats and two pipes into the muffler, I think the pipes might be 2 - 2,25"? and from the muffler and back its 3" I want to connect the two pipes with a Y-joint and the just have the 3" backwards.
Its so quiet now:Big Laugh:

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The problem is the distance between the inlet pipes. On my '98 Suburban 2500, they're over 7" apart, center to center. Tough to find a y-pipe to connect the pipes into the single tailpipe.
Like it was earlier stated, simply use 2 mufflers and 2 tail pipes.

On my '00 Denali, I used 2 single chamber stainless knockoff Flowmaster 10 series then angled them closer to y-pipe them into the OE tailpipe. Try that, seeing as you have more wheelbase, it should be easier to route.

Nordin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, havent found the weird noise from the front driver side, a hub is ordered but it takes like 2weeks from rockauto.

this weekend I changed plugs, wires, cap, rotor, oil, air, fuel and oil filter

when driving home from work the check engine light came up, I have a simple OBDII reader, you guys know any good app, either for android or iOS, got both.

Old plugs

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
So, havent found the weird noise from the front driver side, a hub is ordered but it takes like 2weeks from rockauto.

when driving home from work the check engine light came up, I have a simple OBDII reader, you guys know any good app, either for android or iOS, got both.

Old plugs
Those look about like the ones I pulled out of my Burb. They didn't look too bad to me( for 65,000 miles of mostly city driving) but it does run a little better and most of the random missing seems to be gone. I also found that #6 cylinder ( 3rd one on the passenger bank)had a loose wire on it,so got that stuck back on better. I'm going to install the new distributor cap in a bit today.

Nordin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those look about like the ones I pulled out of my Burb. They didn't look too bad to me( for 65,000 miles of mostly city driving) but it does run a little better and most of the random missing seems to be gone. I also found that #6 cylinder ( 3rd one on the passenger bank)had a loose wire on it,so got that stuck back on better. I'm going to install the new distributor cap in a bit today.

My distributor looked like crap, lots of.. uhm, whats the word for it, the green stuff that was in the cap

I had some few missfires aswell but not anymore, hoped to see some improvement in mpg but nothing to the better. Get around 13mpg right now.
Ideas for improvement? Would love to get 15mpg

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
My distributor looked like crap, lots of.. uhm, whats the word for it, the green stuff that was in the cap

I had some few missfires aswell but not anymore, hoped to see some improvement in mpg but nothing to the better. Get around 13mpg right now.
Ideas for improvement? Would love to get 15mpg
Corrosion is the word I would use. The vented distributor cap might be a good option for you, since you are in a cold,damp climate. The distributor housing is supposed to have vent holes in it. But they can get clogged, and some distributors don't even have the holes.
It hasn't been rainy enough for me to really tell if the vent makes a difference yet, but I think it will.
Since your Burb is 4wd, the mileage may not get too much better than 13. I would think if you were doing lots of highway driving, where speeds are more consistent and the transmission can stay in overdrive, that you might see an improvement in mpg. I know my Burb is happier on the highway than poking around town in traffic. I try to plan our driving around the peak traffic times and avoid those but it's not always possible. There's 6 million people in greater Houston, Texas area, and sometimes it seems like half of them are on the same road you're on!
I want to say we've gotten 14 or 15 on the highway on road trips, but I'm not sure. Been too long since we went out of town for a show.

Last edited:

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Old plugs
If you ordered from rockauto using fedex then it may say 2 weeks but you'll get it in 5 days. I love that element of surprise. Welcome to forum from UK.