1999 suburban Trans in 1997 Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have What I believe is (long story) a 1997 Z71 extended cab pickup. It was a real mess. It had been through many hands with many issues. The engine had a catastrophic failure and most of the teeth were gone on the bottom timing chain gear, and the timing chain was actually broken. The trans in the truck looks like its from about a 92 pickup truck and has the 4 bolt tail shaft housing. The Transfer is a 233 C 5 bolt from an 92 it looks like from the tag.

I purchased a 99 Suburban for the engine and many other missing parts that were not right, or completely missing from the pickup truck.

I want to rebuild the right transmission but have no idea if it had the 2 or 1 piece trans, since it was not the right trans when i got it. Since I have the engine and the transfer from the 99 tahoe, i want to know how much trouble it would be to rebuild the 99 trans and put it in the 97 with the rest of the drive train. From what I can tell, it looks like there was a ground added for the transmission in 98/part 97 but I can not find out how to make sure if it is on my truck or not. I do not know what color it would be or where to add it, if it is missing. I thought about trying to look on the 99 to see the difference in the wires to the plug and maybe even using part of the harness if needed.